Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price/Quality Check COLT Combat Government Model

Price/Quality Check COLT Combat Government Model

I am about to pick one of these up from a guy who is needing some cash but want to make sure that I am not over paying. He says it is a Colt Combat Government Model one of the few made on the series 80 frames, the precursor to the Combat Elite. I do not know how to upload the pics he e-mailed but it is a two tone with Pachmayr grips.

What would be a fair price on this? The guys is asking $800 and I know NOTHING about 1911 values and don't want to overpay, but if it is a good deal then I may bite. It does show some holster wear.

If it's in good shape, I'd pay $800. They make great base guns, although I can't recall a Combat Gov't that was two-tone, aside from the Special Combat Gov't.

Well, you can get a brand new Combat Elite for around $900, so......

the new one appears to be just a two tone XSE

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    the new CE appears to be just a two tone XSE

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    the new one appears to be just a two tone XSE
    Close, but not quite. They feature a Nat'l Match barrel & a very nicely contoured slide. Furthermore, all a combat elite has ever been is a two tone version of the current Gov't Model with a schnazzy rollmark.

Right, there's nothing really special about either. But I prefer the old S.80 guns better, especially for a base gun (which is all I ever see a stock Colt as anyway)

OP, I hope you can get a pic up, as I can't recall a two-tone Combat Gov't. I'm assuming vertical cocking serrations?

If you do get it, be sure & check it over for home gunsmithing. Used 1911's are unfortunately notorious for that. Sad really. Every time a Bubba takes a dremel to a 1911, a puppy dies.

Last edited by Father of 3; 03-02-2015 at 04:50 PM.

While the slide and sights are from a Combat Government, the frame has me thrown for a loop. It appears to have a nickel (stainless??) finish. The picture makes me think nickel, not stainless, due to the yellow. Every Combat Government I have ever seen has had a blued frame. A Combat Government frame should have a "CG" serial number prefix, as should the successor Combat Elite models. The serial number prefix on the gun in question appears to be "FG", which was a normal Government Model serial number prefix. That being said, this could be a genuine Colt Combat Government because Colt is famous for using every part they have, no matter the specs on the gun. I have my doubts due to the blued parts on the nickel lower, the nickel lower, and the serial number prefix.

Under the Pachmayr grips, the front strap should be serrated. I suspect it is not. If not, the frame is not a Combat Government frame.
    Last edited by farscott; 03-02-2015 at 05:53 PM. Reason: grammar

User Tag List