Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy with some training thoughts.

New guy with some training thoughts.

Hopefully this is a good choice of subforums for this one...

Howdy y'all.
    I'm a guy that just came back to concealed carry. And one that, until the recent CHL class, has never had any formal handgun training. You have already defined the type, gets CHL, shoots a few times at best yearly etc. I used to be that guy to some extent, I shot more, although with little focus beyond shooting pop cans off the fence...

I got my first licence to carry back in 89, New Hampshire. At that time it was fill out a form and mail it to the town council iirc or some such. Either way it wasn't what it is today here in Oklahoma.
    The CHL class here left me knowing without a doubt that I really needed to look into more training and education. I grew up in Scouting so I had a decent firearms safety education and over the years have always had firearms, so they haven't been strange and new to me for a long time.

So... Here I am (a few months back). Just completed my class and I knew I needed to take it a further. I'd not yet even received my license but I had made some decisions. I began with trying to educate myself. I have my own shooting area where I live, and an indoor range membership locally. So I shoot. In fact I shoot alot. Practice makes perfect right... Wrong.
    I practiced doing something I had no solid foundation in. Hence my shooting just wasn't up to snuff.. I came to the conclusion that I needed instruction.
    Of course being the intelligent, somewhat egotistical guy that I am I figured that I'd be fine if I could just see what others who were successful shooters were doing. So I land on YouTube. I won't waste time listing all the "wrong" things I found, but I did find Jeff Cooper, I did find Mas, I did find SouthNarc etc. Im lucky in that I'm pretty cynical and not too bad at sorting through the fluff, so I got away from most of the crap quickly and down to business. I recalled Mas's name from some books and magazines back in the 80's. So I investigated a bit deeper and found myself pretty happy with what I found, which in turn eventually led me to the others, and here.

Fast forward to today. I've decided to begin with a follow up to my CHL class (called SDA here in OK). This "Beyond the SDA" class is supposed to delve deeper into self defense law, have more range time and shooting instruction. I am planning on following that up with time spent on courses with several members/trainers here. I've read most of the highly recommended books listed in other threads. I've found in them, both new information and perspectives as well as understanding and validation of things I already did/do correctly. In no particular order I really feel I gained a lot from Rory Miller's books. De Becker's The Gift of Fear was outstanding validation for "that gut feeling" that has served me well over the years. Givens's Fighting Smarter was the closer that helped me see the direction I believe I need to go with a training plan. So I'm going to lay out my current and future plans and am hoping I may find some constructive feedback on these things.

Past:
    NRA instruction and lots of range time
    Oklahoma SDA class
    26 years handling firearms without serious incident (rifles, shotguns, revolvers, semi autos.)
    Worked in Security, Fire Fighting/EMS
    Previous CHL and Concealed Carry license.

----------
    Current:
    Have solid, proven (to me) weapons, and top end leather.

Focus on fundamentals. Using ToddG's collected postings at

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...-for-Beginners

Focus on fundamentals as outlined by Tom Givens in Fighting Smarter (pg 101) skills a private citizen should work toward competency in.

Class/ Beyond the SDA, and range time with instructor.

Have enrolled with US Lawshield and am investigating one other program as a supplement/enhancement.(IMHO its money well spent YMMV)

Current Goals:
    Gain greater competency and confidence with my choices of weapons for CC.
    Gain a more in depth understanding of self defense law in Oklahoma, and those states I have plans to travel in.

---------
    Future:
    Continued upkeep of the basics and transition into more advanced drills.
    Training with (as time, money allows)
    RangeMaster
    SouthNarc
    MAG.
    Possibly others, possibly more in depth coursework beyond basics with those listed.

Goals:
    Avoidance/deescalation of/in a potentially bad situation.
    Surviving (preferably unaltered / un ventilated) if ever involved in a force encounter.
    And having as much possible fun as I can while training/practicing.

And that wraps up my thoughts. What do you folks think?

I think you have a very solid plan in place.

What part of OK you from, if you don't mind me asking? We have some folks on the forum from down there, and I have several friends living in OK
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Gmornin Chuck, thanks, and I'm just SW of OKC in Mustang.

As Chuck said, it looks like you've got most of it covered.

Welcome to the forum!

You have some great training opportunities very nearby; there's lots of action in Dallas including HiTS (http://www.hardwiredtacticalshooting.com/), and there's a very active culture near Tulsa that brings in a lot of great classes.

Agreed on your training availability, in my experience people in OK like to shoot.

TDSA-Tulsa has a very good weekend pistol class, AP-1, that one can take, and Spencer Keepers from this forum often has high quality classes hosted, in Shawnee I think.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Tooln, welcome. I north of you in Edmond, and as chuck mentioned we get a lot of good trainers through the area almost entirely thanks to the hard work Spencer (prdator) does to host them. SouthNarc was practically in your back yard for AMIS this fall in Yukon.

Unfortunately our indoor ranges aren't great here for doing much serious practice in my experience but I'd recommend looking into OKC gun club out towards Arcadia if you can get in. You can often get a whole pistol bay to yourself and do drills. I'm a member out there if you haven't been maybe we could hook up and take you as a guest for a test drive.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

FredM
    Thanks!

JAD,
    Thanks for the heads up, on HiTS, and Tulsa. I had noticed some but not as of yet really dug into the surrounding area much.

Chuck,
    Again, thank you! I'll look towards Tulsa and I knew there was some activity in the Shawnee area but hadn't as of yet tracked it down.

You wouldn't happen to be familiar with OKC Tactical would you?
    http://www.okctactical.com/

LOKNLOD,

Thanks for the welcome, information and offer! I'd be sick over missing SouthNarc but I honestly feel that no matter what my current skill level is in reality, I really need to start building from the ground up this time. So I feel that AMIS is sort of outside my current needs. Also practically I live alone now and have a solid defensive plan in place at home with a house layout that is most definitely set up to my advantage, not an intruders. Simply put I have a defensible spot with all I need to hunker down behind cover and wait for the cops to show if need be. Although one day AMIS could be a blast. ECQC is definitely on my list for later on though. On indoor ranges, I agree, very limiting, but there is hope. Luckily I have a pretty solid little area here to work in without distraction or worry. I did plan on looking into OKC gun club

You might check out Badlands Tactical its in grandfeild ok. There might be something there your looking for i took a Ar 15 class there last year and it seem like a great place.

Thanks OkieHeat, I'll look over that way too.

User Tag List