Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lessons from gunfight on video

Site Supporter

Lessons from gunfight on video

I am often told that people “cannot” do certain things under the stress of a real life armed threat. Usually, the people trying to tell me this are using it as an excuse not to train.

Here is a video of a surprise gunfight, with 2 armed robbers initiating a sudden armed robbery against a single armed security officer. There are three different surveillance cameras involved, so we get a good idea of what transpired. Please watch a couple of times, then see my comments below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MPM...ature=youtu.be

First, the robbers run into the building. Both have guns already in hand, plus one has a bag for the loot they anticipate getting. As they burst through the inner door, they have the advantage of already having their guns out, plus surprise.
    The security officer does NOT exhibit any so-called “startle response”, such as throwing his hands up. His hands go DIRECTLY to his holstered pistol, which he presents immediately.

The officer goes to two hands, at eye level, and shoots carefully, getting hits. Oops, I forgot… we can’t teach people to do that.

The two armed offenders are thoroughly disconcerted and demoralized by this immediate, violent and resolute response from the officer. They are rendered completely ineffective and flee clumsily. One drops his gun on the way out the door as he frantically tries to escape. I’d say their OODA cycle was disrupted a bit.

The officer used simple lateral movement (side-steps) to accomplish several things:
    1. He used his security station as a visual barrier, allowing him to engage one offender at a time while blocking the other’s view.
    2. He kept moving, further confusing and confounding the bad guys.
    3. By moving, he was able to keep the offenders in his sight.

As soon as he was able, he moved to a corridor opening, giving him a somewhat concealed position as he covered the door, in case they came back in. This shows he kept his wits about him and continued to think tactically, despite having been attacked completely by surprise.

This is how it’s done.

That's some nice shooting.

Tom, if you made a blog of after action reviews for shootings caught on surveillance, I'd read them every week from here until doomsday.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    Tom, if you made a blog of after action reviews for shootings caught on surveillance, I'd read them every week from here until doomsday.
    Me too.

Well stated Tom.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Wow! So much for the stigma that security officers are nothing more than window dressing. First question though, and not to sound all Ed Schultz and having never been to an internet cafe, why was there an armed guard? Or I guess a better question would be why would someone rob one? Are they a cash heavy business?

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Wow! So much for the stigma that security officers are nothing more than window dressing. First question though, and not to sound all Ed Schultz and having never been to an internet cafe, why was there an armed guard? Or I guess a better question would be why would someone rob one? Are they a cash heavy business?
    The shooting went down in 2012. I live about 10 miles from the place. "Internet Cafe" seems to be a term of flexible meaning. Here's a link that explains much.

http://spacecoastdaily.com/2013/03/b...elony-charges/

Palm Bay, Florida runs a higher than average Dirtbag/sq. mile which may be a factor in the guard's outstanding situational awareness.
    Most of my knowledge base is "previously owned".

Well "illegal gambling joint" just doesn't roll smoothly off the tongue or sound very Disney channel like internet cafe does.

First clue... Nobody needs to check their Facespace THAT bad! �� running in gave him a pretty clear indicator.

I take that back, some people really do get that caught up in Facespace. Hehe.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    To quote Clint Eastwood "Ever notice how every now and then you come across somebody you shouldn't have fucked with?"

Somebody with a reasonable defensive tool and the apparent skill and resolve to use it seems to be a sight bad guys recognize instantaneously and almost always want absolutely no part of.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List