Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Range Facilities

Bathrooms are nice, but if I plan properly I don't need to worry about them....

Turning targets, for both inside and outside ranges is the single best feature I can think of. Outdoor ranges, a plate rack (if it's a busy range) that you can reset with a pull of the rope. Regular steel that you can put out would be awesome as well.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Site Supporter
    Well, in Canada - I don't think you stop for tacos with the setup gang at 6:00 AM for a match. I read that ranges can increase business 20% with nice restrooms, esp. for women.

I would add - some benches in back of the shooting stations or behind the line for matches. Older folks (sigh) get bad backs and knees and would like a place to sit while some young one blazes through the course.

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    How long are you going to be on the range? When you are out in the hot sun, you should be drinking enough so that you need to pee every 2 hours. Otherwise you will get dehydrated. And then there's us older folks that are on blood pressure meds. We never pass up a bathroom.

I drink a ton of water (and too much Coca Cola) at matches, but even when it's just water, I can usually make it through a day. Maybe one trip to a berm or porta potty. Of course once you break the seal.....
    Don't get me wrong, good bathrooms are important, especially for female shooters (is that sexist?). But for me, for a range I want to just go shoot at on my own time, turners, turners. But guess what? My range doesn't have any, except some decrepit ones from the 70's on our indoor, that you have to roll out. We do have reall nice bathrooms inside and 4 portas outside.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Site Supporter
    Man some of you guys want a lot of stuff.

I find the best ranges have the least amount of stuff on them.

My favourite range is ten min from my house, it's a mil rated for anything shoulder fired.
    However it's only 1k, the only facilities are range mounds, butts and a small shed for target frames ect, no toilets no Ac.
    But what you do have is a 1000yd range that you have free rain on provided you obey a few laws and club rules.

I've shot on quite a few ranges like that and like them more than more modern ranges.

ETA: We don't have snow, just hot. Not sure how I'd feel shooting in snow...
    Last edited by dbateman; 05-17-2015 at 03:59 AM.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Besides a simple parcel to shoot on, what makes a range facility memorable? What makes it stand out in what it can bring to your experience? Bang for the buck, what is the best ancillary feature a range facility can have besides simple square ranges or shooting lanes?
    Safe berm, decent target stands, a decent port a john and permissive of AIWB is all I need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bathrooms. Bathrooms with enough room to move around in, with running water, and with trash cans discreetly placed inside the building rather than 30 feet away in the middle of a group of guys who really don't want to see what she needs to throw away.

Universally, when I talk to women about their shooting experiences, the subject of disgusting, horrible, cramped, crowded, smelly, and did I mention disgusting? outdoor porta potties comes up. If you are a member of a range that wants more female shooters, or a member of a club that is trying to increase its female membership, the single best thing that your club or range can do to increase female participation is to improve the potty situation. It is not minor. It is major.

On the range itself, I agree with Chuck Haggard. I want tall berms on three sides, good footing underneath, and enough room to move around. I'm also a fan of good drainage so that we don't have to stand ankle deep in wet clay.
    Kathy Jackson

Outdoor for personal use:
    - Plenty of bays to allow me to set up my own targets and draw from a holster to practice;
    - Few restrictions on hours. 9AM-Sunset every day of the week works for me;

Outdoor for Team/Competition use:
    - Large 3 sided berms;
    - At least 6 bays relatively close to each other;

Indoor for Personal Use:
    - Good ventilation and lighting;
    - Ability to draw from a holster to shoot;
    (Targeting systems in good working condition is a must)

Indoor for Team Use:
    - As wide as possible for more stages and more versatility;
    - Ability to do low-light training/stages;

Attractive add-on's:
    Coffee/espresso/tea/water,
    Canopies for outdoor ranges,
    A variety of target systems,
    Sink for washing up with D-Lead,

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Most important thing for me is lack of other people.

Seriously.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

^^amen to that. Or at least lots and lots of berms.

User Tag List