Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Range Facilities

A dedicated landline for summoning medical assistance. Next to the phone should be a laminated card with the range's exact street address and GPS coordinates. A clear field with no obstructions for a medevac helicopter to land (although most 10-20 lane wide rifle ranges will do fine for that anyway).

Extensive first aid kits at all firing lines in waterproof containers.

We have golf quality grass at our range, which definitely makes it a little nicer than your average shooting pit. Bang for the buck, definitely an action shooting bay or 3. I absolutely prefer to have a bay to myself, even if its small.

In an outdoor range, the things that I see as must-haves are shaded staging areas near each range "firing line" and a running water toilet less than a 10 minute walk away from any shooting position.

What I'd like to see, in a broader context, is bays available for rent/training in various sizes. Sizes should be (1) sufficient for a single IDPA/USPSA stage (2) 25 yards deep by 10 positions wide (3) 50 yards deep by 20 positions wide (4) 200 yards deep by 20 positions wide. I'd like to see 10 #1s, 4 #2s, 2 #3s, and 2 #4s. Dimensions should be actual range space, with at least 10 yards from shade structure to firing line, and sufficient flat-bottom beyond the 25/50/200 yard lines to allow for settlement of the berm without impacting the last KD point (probably at least 10 yards), such that any of the above range lengths probably need to be 45, 70, and 220 yards in actual flat-bottom distance.

A single 500 yard bay would be nice, but not a requirement.

My number one qualifier is absence of idiotic "no rapid fire" rules.

Steel is really nice, and the longer the available range the better.
    Outrunning my headlights since '81.

Site Supporter
    The features that would be nice additions to our club would be steel plates on the main pistol ranges, an indoor range where FMJ can be fired, better prices in the ammo vending machine, and a men's bathroom that is not yellow.

Aside from those issues, I think our club is one of the best I have seen!

Oils and Lotions SME
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    The features that would be nice additions to our club would be steel plates on the main pistol ranges, an indoor range where FMJ can be fired, better prices in the ammo vending machine, and a men's bathroom that is not yellow.

Aside from those issues, I think our club is one of the best I have seen!
    The club will buy you the paint, just sayin!
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

Site Supporter
    I am blessed to be within 25 miles of a private, reasonably priced annual membership, capped membership (400) outdoor club with 100 yard zero range, 300 yard range with rifle steel, multiple bays for pistol/tactical shotgun/tactical rifle bays with steel targets (pistol steel not rifle steel), skeet/trap range, a wobble trap range. It has porta-potties - if it had traditional bathroom facilities it would be perfect to me!

As far as indoor goes, clean, well lit, good ventilation. Having a bathroom is good to wash up afterwards. Separate pistol and rifle if possible.

I have been following this thread. It seems like the answers are all over the place.

What I want in a range? I want a private range in my back yard where I can do anything I want. Sides on the berm and shooting out to 100 yards or a little more. I have that covered.

Are you asking with thoughts of building your own range? I guess it boils down to what each individual wants to do.

Bathrooms seem to be a priority at public ranges. I would like a short walk to them. I would prefer a lot of Porta-Potties over one inside a long walk away.

Long range rifle ( 600 yards plus) seems lacking around here.

Lots of bays to set up lots of different things: IDPA/USPSA etc, classes, plinking, 22 rifle.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Aray View Post
    The club will buy you the paint, just sayin!
    I thought our club would have went with a more earthy tone like FDE, Coyote Brown, or Urban Gray.

All kidding aside, steel would be a great addition to one of the pistol ranges. I am not sure if the club would want to spend the money or deal with the safety aspects of steel targets. The only range where I have shot steel plates had a "10 yard rule" for shooting the plate racks.

There is a club 10 minutes from my house where the range rules are not conducive to practice for Self Defense, IDPA, USPSA, etc. The 40 minute drive to BVRPC is worth it every time.

User Tag List