Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chili

haha too late to edit it, but I had a very unfortunate typo/autocorrect in my last post. WithOUT. WithOUT.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Do Fritos count as corn? Because chili without Fritos is like sex with a partner - sad and unfulfilling, and generally unnecessary mess.
    LMAO

Chili with corn, beans, tomatoes, and whatever else is taco soup.

That being said, if chili taste good I don't really care what's in it. I'm not entering any cook offs so it doesn't have to impress anyone but me.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

No beans. The spices are key. They should enhance the flavor of the meat, not drown it out.

Venison is an acceptable substitution for beef.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    No beans. The spices are key. They should enhance the flavor of the meat, not drown it out.

Word. Chili should be minimalist.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post

That being said, if chili taste good I don't really care what's in it. I'm not entering any cook offs so it doesn't have to impress anyone but me.
    Taco Soup is a description I'll use until I die.

The goal isn't to make chili so much as is it is to tweak my lunch to suit my needs without having to prepare 5 different things. I've been on a tear with spices trying some different stuff. Hit up a local hippy joint to snag some uppity spices, well worth it.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Taco Soup is a description I'll use until I die.

The goal isn't to make chili so much as is it is to tweak my lunch to suit my needs without having to prepare 5 different things. I've been on a tear with spices trying some different stuff. Hit up a local hippy joint to snag some uppity spices, well worth it.
    One word. Chorizo. Thank me later. I also like adding chipotle and adobo sauce. Careful with the chipotles though. A little goes a long way.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

No. Just no.

I agree chili with beans and tomatoes is not chili, it's stew. But taco soup is entirely different.

Chili with corn meal is acceptable, I agree that chili should not be served with kernels of corn in it. I say this, because my great grandfather passed down the family chili recipe from his grandmother, so that's a family recipe going back about 160 years). It is meat (beef, goat, or venison), a half cup of water, a palmful of salt, three pinches of cayenne powder, two pinches of chile de arbol powder, one whole jalapeño diced, and a quarter cup of corn meal (to temper the spice and thicken the chili). Cook for 8-12 hours on low heat. The last hour should be cooked uncovered to reduce the chili if it hasn't reduced down enough.

It is my, not so humble opinion, that all chili must be made with only native American ingredients. So, quinoa, rice, crackers, flour are all no go. Beans probably were in early forms of chili, but most recipes don't use beans, because their protein content tends to suck up the spiciness and flavor of chili.

My wife insists that chili should have beans and tomatoes in it. When we fight about this, I like to point out that even though she was born in Texas, her family is actually from New Jersey...

-Rob

One word. Chorizo. Thank me later. I also like adding chipotle and adobo sauce. Careful with the chipotles though. A little goes a long way.
    I've used turkey sausage before, it's pretty killer that way. It's a little leaner than beef but lean steak cuts ground up works fine too. I'm going for a smokey barbecue taste at the moment and have been sticking to beef.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I like Wolf brand, with beans, from the can, with fritos and cheese.

It's clear to me I am the culinary equivalent of the guy in the Taurus hat shooting his PT1911 and happily proclaiming it's just as good as that custom Wilson out in the sales case with the huge price tag. *facepalm*
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List