Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your feelings are a liar

That makes sense. I figured some skills would translate, and others wouldn't. Thanks for the in-depth reply.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

I had a chance to fire this gun on Tuesday. It has the best stock XD trigger ever, which is still worse than a Glock trigger, but better than a M&P trigger. With only about 10 practice rounds through the gun, I went and ran two bill drills at around 2.3s with it, dropping 1 shot on the first. For comparison, I'm usually around 2.05-2.15 with my P30L. It's a very easy gun to shoot, but I still don't like the trigger (longish rolling break), and the magazine release is impossible to use without breaking your grip on the gun.

I will say it's a good looking gun. Pretty much the only two-tone gun I have ever liked the looks of.
    JP Visual Design

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Every person I have ever known that has turned their hobby into a job complains about how their hobby has become their job.
    Then they weren't doing it right.

“The master in the art of living makes little distinction between his work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his information and his recreation, his love and his religion. He hardly knows which is which. He simply pursues his vision of excellence at whatever he does, leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing. To him he's always doing both.”

-- L.P. Jacks (often misattributed to James Michener, "Zen Sayings," and François-René de Chateaubriand)

I hadn't seen that quote before, thanks Todd. That is actually the goal of being my own boss is to eventually reach that point.

I have that quote on my dry erase board on the fridge. I should read it more often.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Then they weren't doing it right.
    Most of the folks I know who have started their own business are very good technicians or are masters at their craft. As such, once you add accounting, payroll, FICA, State tax, SS tax, workman's comp., liscensing, continuing education, etc. it really does become a chore. When I started my own business I found out very quickly that I am a much better electrician than accountant. Thus, it's no longer any fun. Doing what you love for a living vs turning it into a business aren't necessarily the same thing.

“The master in the art of living makes little distinction between his work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his information and his recreation, his love and his religion. He hardly knows which is which. He simply pursues his vision of excellence at whatever he does, leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing. To him he's always doing both.”

-- L.P. Jacks (often misattributed to James Michener, "Zen Sayings," and François-René de Chateaubriand)
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    If there is one universal truth, it's that when a man finally finds his dream job/woman/car/whatever, he will find some aspect of it about which he may complain. ;-)
    I was reading Robb Allen's blog the other day and he referred to a picture of some pistols in his favorite caliber and I thought to myself "*sigh* I used to have a favorite caliber..."

That's one thing I envy about Frank W. James. He's been shooting and writing about guns and shooting for a long, long time, but at the end of the day he's still Farmer Frank first, and I think that's really helped him keep that passion for guns and shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I was reading Robb Allen's blog the other day and he referred to a picture of some pistols in his favorite caliber and I thought to myself "*sigh* I used to have a favorite caliber..."

That's one thing I envy about Frank W. James. He's been shooting and writing about guns and shooting for a long, long time, but at the end of the day he's still Farmer Frank first, and I think that's really helped him keep that passion for guns and shooting.

That is probably the most insightful observation that I've seen in a long time. Thanks for putting things in perspective Tamara.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List