Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Consistency differences between pistols

A lot of this falls into the realm of nuance. One guy compares his Glock to HK or whatever, and describes the differences. Next guy compares his Glock 17 to his Glock 19. Next guy compares his Gen x 19 for example, to a different Gen. Finally, another guy compares his G prefix 17 to a K prefix one. A have a buddy with a half dozen Sig 226 pistols, and each has in his mind a different enough trigger that he has a different name for each.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    The grooves fit me on the full size guns but not the 19 size. In particular, a 3rd gen 19 is worthless in my hands because my fingers fall directly on the grooves. This prevents me from getting a good grip, kills my hand, and causes me to steer the gun with grip pressure. Not a good thing. One of the last guns I'd ever sell is an old 2nd gen 19, which IMO is the best concealed carry pistol Glock ever made.
    The 19 isn't on our authorized list but I shoot it as well as the 17 at speed. i have a gen 2 19 I've held onto because I shoot it well but I'm getting ready to do some parts swapping due to some reliability issues ( failure to extract). A gen 3 or 4 with the finger grooves ground off might serve just as well.

I have XXL hands with large palms and proportionately short fingers.

For me, the greatest consistency and the easiest to get back up to speed after a hiatus are my G17 and my S&W Mdl 65. Not to be downplayed is the fact that I have over 100K rounds through each of those platforms and decades of use and training with them. I think that might have some bearing on the issue. Some guns we use extensivley and for extended periods of time, and to me it seems those are the easiest to get back in the groove and/or repeat performance standards.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

In my opinion, the more I shoot Glock pistols, the better shooter I become. I am not sure why, but suspect that after a lifetime of shooting only 1911's, the transition to a Glock was a MAJOR undertaking for me and forced me to take a significantly more analytical approach to my shooting. As a result, I learned more about shooting by sticking with the Glock even when I was struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    [snip] GJM….desperately wanting Grayguns HK...
    LOL.

For me it is a 1911 but that is the pistol that I spent the majority of time shooting for 16 years.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I find a Glock to be the pistol that is easiest to shoot good, and the hardest to shoot great.
    Brother, you could have taken those words straight out of my head. I can pick up any Glock in any caliber (except the G27) and shoot in the 90+% range on demand on any qualification course I've ever shot or heard of (and we used to shoot the old school FAM course and the MEUSOC course). Any drill that's speed intensive is a dream with the Glock.

Move back to a 3x5 card at 25 yards, and my Glocks give me fits, ESPECIALLY my current G19. Shooting Dot Torture at 5-7 yards clean with the Glock is fine if I don't add any time pressure. Shooting it clean with even the lightest time pressure at 3-5 yards is a pipe dream.

Put my P2000 LEM, 1911, P7M8, or P30 in my hand, and I'm still in the 90s on quals, and 3x5s at 25 become workable. But, with either of the LEMs, give me a moderately challenging accuracy drill with a medium-hard time standard, and I can't get there.

I guess I should just switch to carrying my P7 in the summer and my 1911 in the winter!

Or, get Mr. Gray to design his masterpiece polymer framed G19-sized/capacity 9mm with hand-built 1911 accuracy, and a medium-take-up/no over travel rolling break LEM trigger.

I find a Glock to be the pistol that is easiest to shoot good, and the hardest to shoot great.
    That's been one of their secret ingredients.

In recent years 1911s have become the hardest to pick up and run fast well. Recoil control and trigger snatching.

15 plus years on Glocks and they are most consistent for me.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

It should not come as a surprise that I have been known to benchmark different pistols. I often set the same steel and paper array for several days in a row, giving me an opportunity to compare pistols I am interested in. Recently I did this with the Glock and CZ (34 vs SP01). The Glock is fast to draw, fast to transition, and for me, good at shooting 25 yard groups offhand. The CZ is much better for me successive shots on the same target, and difficult steel arrays. I can shoot splits in the teens with similar or better accuracy than splits .05 slower with the Glock.

All that may be important for gaming but is noise for my perception of defensive use in the lower 48, and a G4 G19 with HD sights in an AIWB holster is my most often carried pistol in this role -- especially in warmer climates with light clothing.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    100% agreed. However, after years of pretty much only shooting Glocks, I can pick one up and put the front sight on target as if I was born with the thing in my hand. Very comforting feeling, especially given that they serve as my concealed carry and home defense firearms.

User Tag List