Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: M855

I had no problems running a 16" AR15 indoors and it is a lot more versatile out of doors; about the only time I really like a short barrel is if it is going to have a dedicated suppressor on it--then it ends up being about the same length as a 6920 anyway...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I had no problems running a 16" AR15 indoors and it is a lot more versatile out of doors; about the only time I really like a short barrel is if it is going to have a dedicated suppressor on it--then it ends up being about the same length as a 6920 anyway...
    I literally did thousands of entries with a 16" gun, if I wasn't driving a shield and running pistols. Never had an issue indoors running a 16" carbine. Ran a 16" Sim carbine at DARC when I was going through the LECTC, Uncle Rich likes to throw monkey wrenches into the works and the shoot house their can be rather tight quarters, again, no issues.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

In 2010, I knew:
    You really need a 10.3" SBR for use inside of vehicles and indoors.
    By 2015, I've learned:
    I prefer a 14.5-16" carbine for use in and around vehicles.

My opinion changed when I stopped watching YouTube and began training with Kyle Lamb and others. It's a training issue, not a "physical issue" 99% of the time, with the short guns. I really like the longer barrels in a vehicle because a) They aren't a maneuverability issue if you handle it correctly, b) that length is actually a safety feature that PREVENTS you from sweeping yourself and, although less effectively, your passenger/driver, c) mo barrel means mo burned powder means mo velocity means less boom boom inside that confined space.

The one case I like a 10.3" is when I run a suppressor, dedicated. But even then, the 16" with a mini can isn't a problem, and that's another thing. I STRONGLY prefer mini cans to full-size suppressors. Again, after pulling my head out of the catalogs and off the forums and away from the Titsworth numbers, and actually began USING the gear.

Amazing how that works out...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    In 2010, I knew:
    You really need a 10.3" SBR for use inside of vehicles and indoors.
    By 2015, I've learned:
    I prefer a 14.5-16" carbine for use in and around vehicles.

My opinion changed when I stopped watching YouTube and began training with Kyle Lamb and others. It's a training issue, not a "physical issue" 99% of the time, with the short guns. I really like the longer barrels in a vehicle because a) They aren't a maneuverability issue if you handle it correctly, b) that length is actually a safety feature that PREVENTS you from sweeping yourself and, although less effectively, your passenger/driver, c) mo barrel means mo burned powder means mo velocity means less boom boom inside that confined space.

The one case I like a 10.3" is when I run a suppressor, dedicated. But even then, the 16" with a mini can isn't a problem, and that's another thing. I STRONGLY prefer mini cans to full-size suppressors. Again, after pulling my head out of the catalogs and off the forums and away from the Titsworth numbers, and actually began USING the gear.
    clearing my house at night made me choose my P30S/gen2 APL over my Defender 2000

Still have the carbine's handy

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Keep in mind that 5.56 mm NATO 62 gr SS-109/M855 FMJ was designed over 30 years ago as linked machine gun ammunition to be fired from the FN Minimi/M249 SAW while engaging enemy troops wearing light body armor during conventional infantry combat at distances of several hundred meters--while not a perfect solution, M855 does perform adequately in this role. M855 was never originally designed for use in rifles or carbines.
    That said, the question remains which of the two (M193 or M855) would be the most valid choice for someone if limited to ball ammo specifically for budget reasons in the current climate of ammo? I understand it's probably a matter of which sucks less but the main considerations are reliability, accuracy and performance through intermediate barriers and tissue? I know M193 has been shown to be very inconsistent in terminal ballistics but haven't seen much made of M855...

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    I know M193 has been shown to be very inconsistent in terminal ballistics but haven't seen much made of M855...
    I think M855 is less consistent than M193 with regard to early upset/fragmentation, and thus effectiveness. It also starts out with a little less velocity too, which is the primary thing driving fragmentation.

M855A1 is a different story, as I understand it.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Name:  TS560x560~4043717.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  60.1 KB

Anyway, ammo's come a long way in the last 7 years. Especially with effectiveness out of shorter barrels. A face full of M855 will still ruin your day. But there's much better options for the discerning One Man Freedom Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post

Anyway, ammo's come a long way in the last 7 years. Especially with effectiveness out of shorter barrels. A face full of M855 will still ruin your day. But there's much better options for the discerning One Man Freedom Force.
    LOL, I didn't want to start a new thread but now I am questioning that logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    It happens a lot around here, and sometimes leads to interesting discussions.

User Tag List