Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: "Bailout", "Active shooter", etc bag.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Chuck, How does bear spray compare ? Sometimes it is what is on hand.
    Very high volume spray, would fog up an area nicely I would think, especially if one did something like ducked down an alley and left a cloud of OC behind, just don't have a tailwind you can't out run.

I discourage people from buying bear spray unless they actually have a potential bear issue due to the appearance of using the stuff on people (OC is OC for the mjost part, but sometimes appearances matter) but if you do have a need for bear spray I'd certainly use it on a bad guy if I had to.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

If in an active shooter scenario you have to time & opportunity to run to your vehicle & get a bag, you also have time & opportunity to run to your vehicle & drive the f*** away. My plan involves hiding in place with whoever is with me & being prepared to defend us with my EDC.

No idea what happened. did a multi quote, several responses, then was logged out when I posted it, but I'd saved it, only it wasnt all there.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    If in an active shooter scenario you have to time & opportunity to run to your vehicle & get a bag, you also have time & opportunity to run to your vehicle & drive the f*** away. My plan involves hiding in place with whoever is with me & being prepared to defend us with my EDC.
    It would be nice if folks would read what's been written/clarified instead of making assumptions and responding to their understanding of the OP. Again, I'm not looking to go out to my car, grab a rifle, and go back inside somewhere. This is what I'm talking about:

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556
    Thanks for all the input and good conversation thus far guys. Let me clarify that in the event of an active shooter at like a mall or movie theater I have no intention of running out to the car for a rifle and running back in. You're right, I would immediately become a target to LE and even potentially other Civy good guys. I just used the term because in looking at offerings of what I envisioned from manufacturers, that's what they called their design. I carry a full-size 9mm handgun with a reload and that is what I would use if I faced such a situation. My thoughts for this bag are something like having to get through the video below. I work 40 miles from my home. With even recent events like Ferguson and as someone earlier in the thread mentioned, Atlanta's Snowpocolypse from last year I think I might prefer to have more options/capabilities. I realize once I have the rifle out I am no longer so "low profile" but the rifle is an SBR and I could choose to take it or leave it depending on the situation. Or, I could take it down and stow it in the backpack. My commute is through very densely populated areas and traffic is a nightmare on a daily basis, with no crisis fueling things. If I get stuck in traffic and a situation like the below unfolds, I'd like to be able to use more than a handgun to get myself out of it. It then occurs to me that I might like to have more than one rifle mag. Hence, the bag and the whole idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P43WZd611WA
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I checked the autosave database, and nothing was there. Sorry. I'll look around a bit and see if I can recover your post, but it doesn't look hopeful.
    I appreciate you looking. I just didnt have time to re-do it. I'll get back to it this evening.

I type really slow. If I dont hit the "remember me" box I get logged out sometimes when I hit post, but it usually lets me sign in and it goes OK. Not sure what happened here, but when I tried to save it (right click copy), it only saved the quotes, not what I wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I have this idea in my head that I want a somewhat discreet messenger-style bag that would hold roughly 3 rifle mags and 3 pistol mags along with some basic survival stuff (fire starter, water tabs, power bars, etc). The idea being let's say I'm driving home from work and some stupid rioting/looting/terror event happens. I'd like to be able to grab and go without looking all kitted up with something like a chest rig. I use the Comp-tac clip-on mag carriers and the thought is to feed the gun from the belt pouch and then feed the pouch from the bag. Anyone have such a thing? I've looked at Maxpedition, London Bridge, and 5.11. Thanks for any thoughts/experience!
    I use a 5.11 MOAB 6 as my EDC bag. It normally contains the following:
    *my tablet
    *chargers for tablet and cell phone,
    *travel coffee cup with some Starbucks Via instant packets
    *AMK pocket first aid kit
    *SOL pocket survival kit
    *a few light sticks
    *"lifeboat matches" in match safe
    *Maxpedition pocket organizer with screwdriver, multi-tool, knife, flashlight, writing implements, flash drive with essential files
    *Maxpedition water bottle pouch attached to side, with Nalgene water bottle and glacier mug; ibuprofen and acetaminophen in pocket.

When the weather gets really iffy there's room for my Stormy Kromer cap and gloves, too.

So it could probably handle what you have listed for what you want.

It doesn't ride perfectly for me, but it does OK with a light load. (I've been told the larger MOAB 10 rides better.)
    Advantages of a sling bag over a backpack are that it may be easier to get on and off, and it can be rotated around in front for easy access without shrugging out of it.

There is enough of a military/veteran presence around here that a MOLLE bag doesn't not draw any attention.

Hope this helps.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Looking for messenger bags, I'd take a look Timbuk 2 (although folks might assume there is a laptop in there) - I got one to hold a 17" laptop which is f'ing heavy, too much for a single strap. If I had to do it over and no laptop, I would definitely go with ReLoad, really sweet customizable stuff.

Cookie Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Looking for messenger bags, I'd take a look Timbuk 2 (although folks might assume there is a laptop in there) - I got one to hold a 17" laptop which is f'ing heavy, too much for a single strap. If I had to do it over and no laptop, I would definitely go with ReLoad, really sweet customizable stuff.

Cookie Monster
    They also have some interesting hybrid/convertible bags which can be carried messenger style or double strap backstap style.

It looks well made and much more covert. If I didn't have a massive CAD oriented laptop I'd be rocking one of their smaller TSA compliant bags.

User Tag List