Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Bailout", "Active shooter", etc bag.

"Bailout", "Active shooter", etc bag.

I'm probably gonna pick up the ute pack from hill people gear and use it for hunting/staging in my vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Theres a myriad of different ways to accomplish this.

My opinion: unless youre a bicycle messenger or some other courier, anything a messenger bag does a backpack will do better.

In addition to all the cool tactical stuff, dont forget to pack the important stuff you'll be more likely to need: a copy of your health insurance card, some other form of ID, DD214, essential contacts list, cash, road map, and a medical emergency info form.
    I agree on the backpack being the best idea. I'm built like Shrek, so watching me put on a backpack is like watching Flozell Adams put his jersey on over his pads. I wanted to like single strap bags for the ease of taking them off and on, but there just wasn't one that carried the weight well. As the bag would shift back and forth, it would chafe the area of my shoulder where the strap was. If it ain't comfortable on a small hike, it definitely won't be on a long one. I also went full retard on contents once, now I have a much more streamline bag that carries the essentials and a few creature comfort items that I can actually wear all day.

I'll also suggest going with a backpack.

My one and only "shtf" experience was the Atlanta snowpocalypae last year. The roads were completely blocked with wrecked vehicles and I found myself 8 miles from home with only my two legs to get me there.

I had no need for a rifle(or spare rifle mags...). I was very glad to have kept a bag in the car with a knit cap, gloves, water, flashlight. I kept these in a Maxpedition gearlinger. I also happened to have a work laptop with me. I ended up repacking everything into my laptop bag as I didn't want to risk the laptop being stollen. Needless to say it sucked.

Now I keep a backpack full of seasonally appropriate essentials. The pack is large enough to carry a laptop if necessary. I have everything I need to travel by foot from work to home.

For defensive items I make sure I have a belt and good holster packed. I typically have a reload or 2 with clip on kydex pouches.

With AIWB I don't see the advantage of a messenger bag.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I have this idea in my head that I want a somewhat discreet messenger-style bag that would hold roughly 3 rifle mags and 3 pistol mags along with some basic survival stuff (fire starter, water tabs, power bars, etc). The idea being let's say I'm driving home from work and some stupid rioting/looting/terror event happens. I'd like to be able to grab and go without looking all kitted up with something like a chest rig. I use the Comp-tac clip-on mag carriers and the thought is to feed the gun from the belt pouch and then feed the pouch from the bag. Anyone have such a thing? I've looked at Maxpedition, London Bridge, and 5.11. Thanks for any thoughts/experience!
    You are worried about how things might look, but it appears from "3 rifles mags" that you will be carrying a rifle as well? An AR or AK type I am guessing?
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    I think you are looking for two different things.

I have an "issue bag" or what some would think as an active shooter bag - Glock 17/X300 with 5 spare mags, 3 inch fixed blade knife, 3 - 8 round holders for 00 buck and slugs, medical supplies, Leatherman, Surefire light, and a wad of cash/ID. It is a plain looking bag from One Source Tactical. In the slow process of building one for the house rifle. All it is stuff for fighting or to support fighting and man it will be a bad day when I have to pick it up. I added a pair of gloves recently and thought about other stuff but really the need is to keep it light which is hard to do with that amount of ammo. If I would have to walk around with this bag for more than 30 minutes, it would definitely get uncomfortable.

I have a get home, sleep off a buzz bag as well. Simple water, candy bars, sleeping bag, mat, small alcohol stove, first aid kit, warm layer, hat. Allows me to sleep off a few in the comfort of the back of my truck or hang out somewhere and drink some tea or start hoofing it somewhere. It is light on the hoofing it somewhere because I think that is less likely in my world. It is a old small backpacking backpack that I keep inside a black SOE Kit Bag. Blends into the black of the rug in the back of my truck. If it lives in a car trunk that is fine, if it lives in view, I would definitely put it in a plain wrapper, cardboard box labelled old books or a duffle that doesn't stand out.

Carrying any sort of weight for any period, two shoulder straps. Messenger bags work out for bike messengers (I spent a summer in 1995 as one) because when bend over the weight rests on your back and it is really about speed, swinging the bag in front to load and unload or get to your lock or whatever. There are messenger bags with two straps (PAC and Reload) which a lot of messengers use.

Any sort of get home bag, I would suggest weighing under 20 pounds, maybe 15 unless rucking is what you do. Carrying weight a long distance when you are not used to it sucks.

My non-professional opinion. Good luck on getting it figured.

Cookie Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    You are worried about how things might look, but it appears from "3 rifles mags" that you will be carrying a rifle as well? An AR or AK type I am guessing?
    Having chased down this particular SHTFantasy road myself before, while there may be a desire to include rifle mags, and carrying the rifle they feed may reduce the discreetness of the person carrying it, there may also be situations where the rifle is left behind or doesn't exist, and the discreetness may come into play.

For me, this is what led to leaving behind all of the Mad Max, Book of Eli, type scenarios and understanding that if I have a rifle, I have a way to carry mags for it, and what is important in my bag is normal human type stuff not ninja gunfighting gear.

So I have two bags. Both are backpacks. One is an REI bag, bright green, that has in it rain gear, flashlights, bottle opener, Adventure Medical first aid kit, a towel, usually a swimsuit, cigars, a lighter, an external battery for phoe, etc. In stays in the bed of the truck (I are a camper shell). I call it an everyday survival bag, or a man purse. It goes with us to the grandparents pool with the kids, it comes with me at hotel check-in while the porter wheels off the rest of the crap, I take it to the beach, etc. The contents change over time as I realize I need one thing more or less than another. Baby wipes are the next thing to be added, FWIW.

The other is a camelback backpack. It stays in the truck behind the rear seat. It has fire starting gear, "survival" type stuff, heavier duty rain gear, etc. In the past it has also included spare ammo but it doesn't right now. It's more of a wilderness survival bag. It's never left the truck except to clean it.

While I haven't run a shoulder bag through ten classes, that's only because it took me only one day of one class to realize that was not for me. While I get the concept, I found it slow to draw from, the flopping around of the bag to be very distracting or even preventative (like getting hung up on the gun), and other issues. If I felt like I needed spare rifle ammo I'd keep an uultra lightweight chest rig in a backpack, along the same theory as Chuck mentions that if I have a rifle I'm not really so discrete anymore. If I really thought I might need to conceal rifle mags I'd include an oversized shirt in the pack to cover up the chest rig.

Something else to consider, modern packs that are well thought out tend to have side access pockets. My REI pack does. If I wanted to keep an emergency rifle reload mag in there that's where I'd put it as it's pretty quick to access.

I also think we are talking about different bags for different missions.

If one is walking home with a rifle they are the opposite of low profile, especially assuming AR/AK/etc type defensive carbines and such. Personally I'd rather have the get-home bag with extra pistol ammo and perhaps an extra pistol unless it's all Book of Eli and such. Lower profile, draws less attention, certainly lighter to carry.

The active-shooter bag thing I find troublesome for non-LE. I hear a lot of folks talk about "truck guns", and while I have no problem with much of this, and often have a rifle in the vehicle (and have used it) due to being in a rural setting and because varmints, it appears many people have an idea that the rifle is for "active-shooter" stuff.

The idea appears to be that the person will run out to the truck, get the long gun, then go after the active-shooter, which would be a really bad idea.
    I guarantee you that the not identifiable as LE person running around a active-shooter event is going to be killed by the cops, plain and simple. It will be regrettable, but it's almost sure to happen.

IMHO if one finds themselves in an active-shooter scenario they need a service caliber pistol, on their person, right now. If they have a way to get out to the vehicle to get to a gun the last thing they need to be doing is running back in to the situation.

When I go on road trips I have a bag, when I go hunting I have a bag, etc. What's in those bags changes with the reason for the trip, the terrain, and the weather.

If one is talking a bail-out bag to have in the cop car to go with the long gun then this is a totally different mission as well.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Very good reality check regarding LE/civilian interaction in the event of an active shooter, Chuck. I fully agree.

"Active shooter" gear for a civilian should be what is already on one's person, and no, that doesn't include something like an SBR in a backpack. Don't be that guy.

After setting up a SHTF rig, I would likely never carry it because of all the other stuff I want with me regularly.

My choice is an EDC small backpack that is my combo man purse/brief case etc. I do have this with me. I have been using a 5.11 pack, but been looking at this:

http://www.wearvertx.com/edc-gamut-bag.aspx

Sent from my iPad
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List