Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Bailout", "Active shooter", etc bag.

"Bailout", "Active shooter", etc bag.

I have this idea in my head that I want a somewhat discreet messenger-style bag that would hold roughly 3 rifle mags and 3 pistol mags along with some basic survival stuff (fire starter, water tabs, power bars, etc). The idea being let's say I'm driving home from work and some stupid rioting/looting/terror event happens. I'd like to be able to grab and go without looking all kitted up with something like a chest rig. I use the Comp-tac clip-on mag carriers and the thought is to feed the gun from the belt pouch and then feed the pouch from the bag. Anyone have such a thing? I've looked at Maxpedition, London Bridge, and 5.11. Thanks for any thoughts/experience!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I have this idea in my head that I want a somewhat discreet messenger-style bag that would hold roughly 3 rifle mags and 3 pistol mags along with some basic survival stuff (fire starter, water tabs, power bars, etc). The idea being let's say I'm driving home from work and some stupid rioting/looting/terror event happens. I'd like to be able to grab and go without looking all kitted up with something like a chest rig. I use the Comp-tac clip-on mag carriers and the thought is to feed the gun from the belt pouch and then feed the pouch from the bag. Anyone have such a thing? I've looked at Maxpedition, London Bridge, and 5.11. Thanks for any thoughts/experience!
    Theres a myriad of different ways to accomplish this.

My opinion: unless youre a bicycle messenger or some other courier, anything a messenger bag does a backpack will do better.

In addition to all the cool tactical stuff, dont forget to pack the important stuff you'll be more likely to need: a copy of your health insurance card, some other form of ID, DD214, essential contacts list, cash, road map, and a medical emergency info form.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    ...anything a messenger bag does a backpack will do better.
    Agreed. I don't have much experience or opinion about a bag like the OP is looking for. But I used a Maxpedition gearslinger bag for a while, and I found that it didn't carry the weight near as comfortably as a standard two shoulder backpack. Ammo, water, computer, etc just exacerbated the pain in the only shoulder the bag was designed for. And during physical activity, the sling bag wasn't as secure.

Site Supporter
    I agree with the recommendation regarding a back pack. However, if you are set on a shoulder bag check out the rapid deployment bag by U.S. Peacekeeper.

http://www.uspeacekeeper.com/Product...ment_pack.html

For what it's worth IMHO.

I have run a shoulder bag through many (10+)carbine classes. By the end of the day the off center load hurts your back and shoulder and this was a light bag with 4 mags and a blowout kit.
    The only reason I did it was the shoulder bag sits by the carbine is quick to put on and I wanted to learn to run it.
    It is easier to pull mags etc... out of a shoulder bag than a pack but a pack carries hugely better.
    A minimalist chest harness / war belt under a cover garment would balance better for mags. Using a pack for everything else.

To me the advantages of a shoulder bag are: low profile, quick to don/ditch. Disadvantages are: not a balanced load, slower than a mag pouch on a harness or belt.

I would look at a pack containing what you mention including a minimalist chest harness,or belt mag pouches and a cover garment.

Also look at how this works layered on top of your CCW loadout and minimize interference.

A Maxpedition Fatboy type S ( hang on left for a right handed shooter) is worth a look.

hill people gear or northface back pack will work really well for this. If your thinking that the mags should be easily accessible in the bag the messenger bag may be better. One alternative to that though is to have a small chest rig that accomplishes the same thing and you can put it rather quickly.

Stay away from anything that looks "tactical", Maxpedition, etc.
    Hill People Gear Tarahumara or Attache plus Tara insert. Would be a great choice in discreet color.
    Throw in a minimalist chest rig from Blue Force Gear or their 10 Speed pouches and you're all set.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I agree with the recommendation regarding a back pack. However, if you are set on a shoulder bag check out the rapid deployment bag by U.S. Peacekeeper.

http://www.uspeacekeeper.com/Product...ment_pack.html
    I have this bag and am very pleased with it. I use it as a "bump in the night" bag. It sits near my nightstand pistol and has a couple pistol mags, 2 AR mags, a handheld light, folding knife, cuffs, and IFAK.

That said... I agree with other recommendations about using a backpack for the OP's stated role. It holds more, will be better balanced and out of your way if you have to run/climb/fight/etc. Assuming it's a discreet color and not Multicam, Kryptek, etc. it will help you blend in better. It will hold more gear. And if it has a bladder compartment, that is a great location for a soft armor panel.

Quote Originally Posted by DI1 View Post
    Stay away from anything that looks "tactical", Maxpedition, etc.
    Hill People Gear Tarahumara or Attache plus Tara insert. Would be a great choice in discreet color.
    Throw in a minimalist chest rig from Blue Force Gear or their 10 Speed pouches and you're all set.
    Another bump for Hill People Gear. They make excellent kit.

User Tag List