Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Silencer choice?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean O View Post
    If you are set on one of those three, I have to agree with the above and say the Omega is a no brainer. For most non LE/Mil folks, I think the common order of importance on suppressors goes something like this:

#1- Sound suppression
    #2- Weight
    #3- Price
    #4- Availability
    #5- Company they purchase from
    #6- Connection method
    #7- Durability
    #8- POI shift and repeatability / effect on accuracy ( if this is even considered)

My personal thought for your scenerio, especially since you are considering varmiting/hunting, the order should be more like:

#1- POI shift and repeatability / effect on accuracy
    #2- Weight
    #3- Sound suppression
    #4- Durability (All 3 of the options listed will be plenty durable for what you want to do.)
    #5- Availability
    #6- Price
    (I left connection method and company off, since you have already decided on that.)

The Omega would still be number one out of your options no matter which list you use. It is more versatile than the others and also the quietest of the three (in theory, waiting on 3rd party testing still). One tax stamp for multiple hosts/calibers is a great thing.

That being said, make sure you test POA/POI shift on every rifle you attach the can to and make sure it is repeatable. If you swap out the anchor brake for a flat cap to shorten the Omega, you will need to test POA/POI again. Same thing applies if you switch from the ASR mount to a direct thread (maybe save some weight on your hunting rig).

A customer has an Omega headed this way, so hopefully I will be able to shoot it side by side with the Saker 762 I have been running for the last year. Be interesting to hear them head to head and see if the DB claims live up to the hype.

Wait, you guys probably meant the SME......
    I don't know that I'd 100% agree with priorities assigned but that is good info.

Your priorities may vary.

ETA: Silencers have very little resale value given the pace of development and associated NFA process. I'd put durability way up there because it's essentially a life long investment.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 02-18-2015 at 02:19 PM.

Site Supporter
    Durability and that lifetime investment are the only reason I'm hesitating on getting the Omega versus the Saker.

They are both modular, allowing for a variety of Mount systems and caps and silencer co-is a solid company. Whichever one I end up with I plan on running the ASR/spec war mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Durability and that lifetime investment are the only reason I'm hesitating on getting the Omega versus the Saker.

They are both modular, allowing for a variety of Mount systems and caps and silencer co-is a solid company. Whichever one I end up with I plan on running the ASR/spec war mounts.
    The Saker has full Stellite baffles and a much broader range of compatibility with different mounts. The Omega only has the first baffle being constructed from Stellite. However, SilencerCo is a kickass company....
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    ETA: Silencers have very little resale value given the pace of development and associated NFA process. I'd put durability way up there because it's essentially a life long investment.
    I completely agree. The second list was the way I see it for his circumstances/options. I think any one of those three will do well for his uses durability wise. If he had mentioned SBR's, FA or something of that sort it would be much higher on the list. Which leads me to-

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

This is exactly why I will still be happy with the Saker. It is overbuilt for my uses honestly, but I like that. If you pan on ASR mount no matter what, I think you will be happy either way.

For those of you shooting 6.8, watch your barrel length as that is one of the biggest differences between the two from what I have seen. Silencerco is telling people that the Omega is limited to a 16" barrel, where the Saker 762 is rated down to 7" barrel.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    "You have to go faster to get faster and wasted motion is dumb."

Silencer durability means exactly nil to virtually all commercial buyers, especially those for whom this is a first-time purchase, and even moreso again for those for whom this is their only experience with silencers.

If you want durable, install brake-mounts instead of hider mounts on the guns that get shot suppressed the most.

if 90% of American gun owners don't ever take their guns out of the safe, 99% of silencer owners never take their silencers out of the safe after the first couple of outings. For the few that DO use them frequently, they tend to be hunters in states where suppressed hunting is legal, meaning you're talking about 5-20 rounds a year for a lifetime, all slow-fire (if you can call a single shot on an animal "slow").

People *think* they're going to use the shit out of these things, and they just don't. Go to any three-day carbine course and count the number of people using a can on TD1, and check again on TD3. it will be drastically reduced. Hell, most suppressors didn't make it through an entire drills night when I was running out local drills because the shooter took it off.

These are very, very use-specific pieces of equipment. Trying to associate too much logic and reason with an illogical and unreasonable purchase can lead to heartache.

For me, having owned a few cans, I want light, short, and multi-use.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Silencer durability means exactly nil to virtually all commercial buyers, especially those for whom this is a first-time purchase, and even moreso again for those for whom this is their only experience with silencers.

If you want durable, install brake-mounts instead of hider mounts on the guns that get shot suppressed the most.

if 90% of American gun owners don't ever take their guns out of the safe, 99% of silencer owners never take their silencers out of the safe after the first couple of outings. For the few that DO use them frequently, they tend to be hunters in states where suppressed hunting is legal, meaning you're talking about 5-20 rounds a year for a lifetime, all slow-fire (if you can call a single shot on an animal "slow").

People *think* they're going to use the shit out of these things, and they just don't. Go to any three-day carbine course and count the number of people using a can on TD1, and check again on TD3. it will be drastically reduced. Hell, most suppressors didn't make it through an entire drills night when I was running out local drills because the shooter took it off.

These are very, very use-specific pieces of equipment. Trying to associate too much logic and reason with an illogical and unreasonable purchase can lead to heartache.

For me, having owned a few cans, I want light, short, and multi-use.
    You're okay making that assumption. I'm not, thus, my advice. No big deal.

The Saker has full Stellite baffles and a much broader range of compatibility with different mounts. The Omega only has the first baffle being constructed from Stellite. However, SilencerCo is a kickass company....
    I'd agree with this sentiment. I do think the Omega is neat looking, functional, and I am interested in the reviews from 3rd parties. However, I don't think there is a perfect solution.

This is exactly why I will still be happy with the Saker. It is overbuilt for my uses honestly, but I like that. If you pan on ASR mount no matter what, I think you will be happy either way.

For those of you shooting 6.8, watch your barrel length as that is one of the biggest differences between the two from what I have seen. Silencerco is telling people that the Omega is limited to a 16" barrel, where the Saker 762 is rated down to 7" barrel.
    I think that's why I'd caution research and durability. At this point, I'd go with a no-nonsense warranty wise company with a history of positive civilian consumer (ETA 2: ) experiences (I would count on your mount being obsolete and no longer in use within five years, so you'll want a company with a reputation of bending over backwards to take care of prior customers. Just look at 18 tooth mounts with AAC and other companies that have updated their attachment methods), I'd recommend 7.62 to give you flexibility (I'd want it rated for 300 WM, most good 7.62 cans meter as good or better with 5.56 platforms and you also get decreased back pressure), I'd recommend a QD option, I'd recommend good to great DB numbers, lightweight as you can get, flash hider and muzzle break mounts (who knows how your tastes will change), and I'd recommend a fully welded core of good material.

However, and I'm not (ETA 2: being; stupid smart phone) vascious when I say this; I'm no expert.

I'd wait on Sean, legitimately. Heck, P.M. the guy if he doesn't reply here. You're looking to spend 1,200-1,600 by the time you buy mounts, transfer fees, taxes, etc., and the silencer itself.

ETA: There are guys that have had a heck of a time getting mounts or a suppressor compatible with their old mounts out companies such as AAC. This is a package deal, there's a lot of perspectives I would look at when considering.
    Last edited by BWT; 02-18-2015 at 03:46 PM.

To add to the mix the Specwar is out,a guy at SilencerCo recommended the Omega to me based upon what my uses would be,he said they're coming out with a 5.56 endcap for the Omega,making it shorter(who needs an AnchorBrake on 5.56?),which by far makes it the lightest,shortest,and quietest 7.62 suppressor on the market for 5.56. I believe I'll pull the trigger on the Omega,thanks for everyone's input!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by witchking777 View Post
    To add to the mix the Specwar is out,a guy at SilencerCo recommended the Omega to me based upon what my uses would be,he said they're coming out with a 5.56 endcap for the Omega,making it shorter(who needs an AnchorBrake on 5.56?),which by far makes it the lightest,shortest,and quietest 7.62 suppressor on the market for 5.56. I believe I'll pull the trigger on the Omega,thanks for everyone's input!
    Sounds good to me. It looks like a solid performer and Silencerco fits the mold of a quality company. They took care of customers when the Sparrow was upgraded and started a NFA related rights group (American Silencer Association). They are one of the best, IMHO.

I've always heard good things about them.

Without knowing the actual intended use (did I miss it?), I would also look at the new cans from TBAC. Very short and light, good sound suppression, great precision. The Omega is a nice can, but way heavier than i want to hang off my gun. Your use may dictate otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Without knowing the actual intended use (did I miss it?), I would also look at the new cans from TBAC. Very short and light, good sound suppression, great precision. The Omega is a nice can, but way heavier than i want to hang off my gun. Your use may dictate otherwise.
    I probably should have talked with you before buying my Saker.....
    #RESIST

User Tag List