Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Silencer choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Yep
    Alrighty,do you prefer caliber specific silencer i.e. 556-556 or is running a 7.62 can acceptable? Reason I'm asking is the Omega 762 is about the same size/weight as the Specwar K.

Quote Originally Posted by witchking777 View Post
    Alrighty,do you prefer caliber specific silencer i.e. 556-556 or is running a 7.62 can acceptable? Reason I'm asking is the Omega 762 is about the same size/weight as the Specwar K.
    I run. 7.62 cans on 7.62 and 5.56 on 5.56. Again, all my stuff is surefire. Ymmv based on brand.

16" BCM middy in 5.56,I'll use it for home defense,vehicular carry,varminting,and possibly hunting,no 7.62 platforms yet,maybe in the future.
    Absent any real, specific, use, I'd go with the Omega. I plan on buying one myself shortly.

Theres all kinds of real world this and mission that, but private purchase silencers are a completely different animal. Having one that is light enough to actually maybe get used sometimes, and flexible enough to use on as many different forearms/calipers as possible are better driving factors for the private purchaser than things like uber-durability and chasing after one or two DB.

Choices are all SilencerCo,Omega 7.62,Specwar 5.56,Specwar K 5.56,I have a Trifecta flash hider installed.
    Omega, it's a no brainer.
    #RESIST

Incidentally, there's some can weight/length/OD information here. There's tabs at the bottom for 5.56 and 7.62

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...EE&usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I know Sean has a lot of real world experience with this topic and I look forward to his comments.
    That.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    That.
    Ditto, I'd love to hear his insight.
    AKA: SkyLine1

Site Supporter
    I was planning on running. 7.62 can for everything and maybe getting a 556 specific can down the road.

The TX DPS aviation and SWAT guys local to me are running 762 cans on everything to simplify logistics and have had good results. Last time I was at the range with them they had the older/ original style Surefire cans.

I'll third the request for Sean's thoughts on this.

If you are set on one of those three, I have to agree with the above and say the Omega is a no brainer. For most non LE/Mil folks, I think the common order of importance on suppressors goes something like this:

#1- Sound suppression
    #2- Weight
    #3- Price
    #4- Availability
    #5- Company they purchase from
    #6- Connection method
    #7- Durability
    #8- POI shift and repeatability / effect on accuracy ( if this is even considered)

My personal thought for your scenerio, especially since you are considering varmiting/hunting, the order should be more like:

#1- POI shift and repeatability / effect on accuracy
    #2- Weight
    #3- Sound suppression
    #4- Durability (All 3 of the options listed will be plenty durable for what you want to do.)
    #5- Availability
    #6- Price
    (I left connection method and company off, since you have already decided on that.)

The Omega would still be number one out of your options no matter which list you use. It is more versatile than the others and also the quietest of the three (in theory, waiting on 3rd party testing still). One tax stamp for multiple hosts/calibers is a great thing.

That being said, make sure you test POA/POI shift on every rifle you attach the can to and make sure it is repeatable. If you swap out the anchor brake for a flat cap to shorten the Omega, you will need to test POA/POI again. Same thing applies if you switch from the ASR mount to a direct thread (maybe save some weight on your hunting rig).

A customer has an Omega headed this way, so hopefully I will be able to shoot it side by side with the Saker 762 I have been running for the last year. Be interesting to hear them head to head and see if the DB claims live up to the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    Ditto, I'd love to hear his insight.
    Wait, you guys probably meant the SME......
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    "You have to go faster to get faster and wasted motion is dumb."

Quote Originally Posted by Sean O View Post
    If you are set on one of those three, I have to agree with the above and say the Omega is a no brainer. For most non LE/Mil folks, I think the common order of importance on suppressors goes something like this:

#1- Sound suppression
    #2- Weight
    #3- Price
    #4- Availability
    #5- Company they purchase from
    #6- Connection method
    #7- Durability
    #8- POI shift and repeatability / effect on accuracy ( if this is even considered)

My personal thought for your scenerio, especially since you are considering varmiting/hunting, the order should be more like:

#1- POI shift and repeatability / effect on accuracy
    #2- Weight
    #3- Sound suppression
    #4- Durability (All 3 of the options listed will be plenty durable for what you want to do.)
    #5- Availability
    #6- Price
    (I left connection method and company off, since you have already decided on that.)

The Omega would still be number one out of your options no matter which list you use. It is more versatile than the others and also the quietest of the three (in theory, waiting on 3rd party testing still). One tax stamp for multiple hosts/calibers is a great thing.

That being said, make sure you test POA/POI shift on every rifle you attach the can to and make sure it is repeatable. If you swap out the anchor brake for a flat cap to shorten the Omega, you will need to test POA/POI again. Same thing applies if you switch from the ASR mount to a direct thread (maybe save some weight on your hunting rig).

A customer has an Omega headed this way, so hopefully I will be able to shoot it side by side with the Saker 762 I have been running for the last year. Be interesting to hear them head to head and see if the DB claims live up to the hype.

Wait, you guys probably meant the SME......
    Wow! Thanks for the good info!

User Tag List