Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magtech primers and light strikes?

Site Supporter
    A hammer fired gun too ....

Never had a light strike out of Tula from my Glocks either. Odd
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Eventually gave up on Tula Small Pistol primers. Went for about 10000 without any issues in our training ammo and then over the last 5000 we had an approximate 5% failure rate. Enough to disrupt the flow of the class. We run MagTech 38 special +p 125 Grain JSP in our duty guns and shoot the previous years service ammo in training. I cannot recall any failures ever.

Tula LARGE pistol primers have been failure free in my M&P 45 and S&W 645.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

I've loaded around 3000 Tula small pistol primers, with no light strikes in my CZ or STIs. I am a little more careful with my primer seating though.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Site Supporter
    How are you more careful with your primer seating? Are you doing it by hand? I don't have much control over the process in my 1050, unless I'm missing something.

By hand? Good God, no, what do you take me for? I just adjust the primer depth and the swage a little deeper.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Site Supporter
    LOL.

I have adjusted the depth and swager for the Tula primers, it didn't help my issue. When troubleshooting it, I did notice they were a bit shorter than others, and was thinking the first smack seated them deeper rather than igniting it. I was wrong.

It could also be that they're terribly inconsistent regarding ignition force - from batch to batch. Some folks get normal ones, people that bought them 6 months later, got hard primers.

I've never had a light primer strike with Magtech ammunition, through multiple platforms in 9, .40, .45, and one platform in .38 (S&W 586, bought used, great trigger so it can't be stock).

Never had light primer strikes in 38, 357, 9 mm, 40, 45, 44 mag using magtech primers. But the handguns didn't have light mainsprings or striker springs.

I am on my fifth 5000 count box of small pistol Magtech primers in the last three years and I have only had one failure to fire that I attribute to moisture in the box of ammo from being rained on. A majority of that was shot in a P30 but the list includes two 9mm 1911s, Glock 19, Sig 2022 and 228, and a P2000.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List