Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magtech primers and light strikes?

Magtech primers and light strikes?

A search didn't yield a thread specific to this topic, so here we go:

Anyone else have issues with Magtech ammo and light strikes? I've had regular problems with 158 gr. FMJ-FP .38 special in 3 different K-Frames, including a 65 that pops magnum primers all day long. Just data-seeking here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    A search didn't yield a thread specific to this topic, so here we go:

Anyone else have issues with Magtech ammo and light strikes? I've had regular problems with 158 gr. FMJ-FP .38 special in 3 different K-Frames, including a 65 that pops magnum primers all day long. Just data-seeking here.
    Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup. I won't use Magtech in any revos that have had any kind of action work, period.

Site Supporter
    Wolf and Tula are also known for hard primers.

Good enough, thanks guys.

LOTS of MagTech through stock Glock 17s, 19s and ARs, not a problem with any of those.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Magtech primers and light strikes?

Yes. My brother and I load a load of 9mm (several thousand per year). The Magtech small pistol primers caused problems in his USP9e and my G17L. The ones we have left are for training loads only. Match loads now get the Federal primers.
    Small and large pistol CCI primers worked very satisfactory in .357 and .44Mag loads for Freedom Arms, S&W 629, Desert Eagle and Rossi Puma.

Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    Wolf and Tula are also known for hard primers.
    Just a note, I've never had any problems with Tula .45 ACP primers in Glocks or my 625. Also related, if you're looking for some soft shooting .45 ACP ammo, I recommend the TulAmmo .45 ACP ball. It's loaded a bit lighter than most 230 grain FMJ, so you're looking at a 180ish power factor instead of the usual 190+.

Site Supporter
    Interesting. My only experience is with the Small Pistol Tula primers, I have a failure to ignite rate of about 1-2% in a Glock.

Lots of MagTech through Glocks, 1911s, AR15s, and Berettas (including one with D spring installed) and never had a failure to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    Interesting. My only experience is with the Small Pistol Tula primers, I have a failure to ignite rate of about 1-2% in a Glock.
    You know, it occurs to me now that I had a few light strikes with Tula 9mm when testing my Bianchi Cup PX4 storm.

User Tag List