Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What is your definition of a "good" striker pistol trigger?

"For a gaming gun, trigger is near the top of my list of important features. For a carry gun, it is near the bottom of my list of what is important. "

I can agree to this to a point. I can manage the long heavy DA pull of my SIG for that 1st shot, same with a DA revolver. But under stress and speed with a Glock I pull farther and farther left. To me this is unacceptable. I know Glocks and M&Ps can be modified with any number of aftermarket trigger components but at that point I'd rather carry a purpose designed SAO with a manual safety.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I can agree to this to a point. I can manage the long heavy DA pull of my SIG for that 1st shot, same with a DA revolver. But under stress and speed with a Glock I pull farther and farther left.
    Anecdotally, I have the opposite problem. During slow fire at a static target with Glock pistols, my shots tend to drift 1-2" left at 10 yards or so. However, when running through a course of fire in IDPA/USPSA with the same pistol, I drill the target dead center. No leftward drift whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Anecdotally, I have the opposite problem. During slow fire at a static target with Glock pistols, my shots tend to drift 1-2" left at 10 yards or so. However, when running through a course of fire in IDPA/USPSA with the same pistol, I drill the target dead center. No leftward drift whatsoever.
    Are you staging the trigger in slow fire and pulling straight through in competition? If so try pulling straight through when shooting slow fire.

Site Supporter
    Late to the party. 3.5 OEM connector, 5.5 lb OEM spring. Swap out any ridged 19 triggers in a G19. After a few thousand rounds (dry or otherwise) they settle right in. I do concur that sometimes the judicious swapping of said parts to different guns can produce better results faster.

My favorite has been the constant weight to rolling break of the Caracal.

5lb break, smooth and short reset. The best i ever felt was the Caracal. Honorable mention for good out of the box triggers are VP9 and Sig P320. I find the PPQ to be too light for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I am in the good for what camp. I like a trigger with very consistent movement and where it breaks with a distinctive change from slack to being in the ignition. I am very oriented towards the people management under stress and the prisoner taking aspect over pure ease to shoot without sight disturbance. That is clearly different than other folks goals. I like the VP9 over most in this role, and I like my Glock triggers that Don Ellis does for me with a little bit more take up than stock. If ind the PPQ to have a "better" trigger, but not for what I am looking for. It is a gun I could easily see getting bangs when I am not ready for them and saw this first hand during some drills where I was pressing the trigger while coaching for another shooter. The PPQ doubled almost every time. The owner reported that it did the same thing in another instructor class as well. Easy to shoot, but easy to shoot.
    I experienced double firing with the PPQ when i tried a friends pistol. Between that and the harsh (for 9mm) recoil, i decided no PPQ for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    For a gaming gun, trigger is near the top of my list of important features. For a carry gun, it is near the bottom of my list of what is important.
    For me the trigger of my carry pistol is very important-- but I want it to be different than a competition pistol. I really like the P30 LEM trigger because I am very conscious of it. It makes the firing press easier to interrupt and provides insurance against trigger checking.

My 1911s are set up with long slack and a crisp 4-5# break with at least a little over travel. They are in that sense not ideal as carry triggers, but I've put a lot of time into thumb safety manipulation to address that.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    For a gaming gun, trigger is near the top of my list of important features. For a carry gun, it is near the bottom of my list of what is important.
    Out of curiosity, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Out of curiosity, why?
    Because, in my experience, the trigger is the single most important factor in determining which pistol will be most successful gaming. Games, of course being designed to amplify tiny differences in your ability, and differences in your equipment, typically using scenarios that bear little relationship to realistic defensive or hunting scenarios. As a general rule, the shorter and lighter the trigger, the better.

Conversely, on a carry gun, the trigger needs to strike a balance between shooting what you intend to, and not shooting what you don't intend to, including yourself. As a result, most folks typically carry a handgun with a heavier, and perhaps longer trigger than they would for pure shooting performance. Yet ahead of the trigger, I put reliability, accuracy, and capacity/size. It is hard to envision any realistic defensive scenario that couldn't be solved with any major platform trigger, including the one that tested slowest for me -- the DAK.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List