Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HK 1911?

Question HK 1911?

Now, that HK has buried the roller-lock and gas-delayed blowback and makes AR-clones and striker-fired Glock-substitutes.
    Now, that even SIG, Ruger and S&W make 1911s, when will HK jump on that wagon, too?

Doubt it will ever happen.

HK has been making pistols with the Browning tilting-barrel locking-system at least since the advent of the USP series, but has shown no indication of producing a 1911 clone thus far.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Hk1911 = hk45

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Hk1911 = hk45
    For the win.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by T.Stahl View Post
    Now, that even SIG, Ruger and S&W make 1911s, when will HK jump on that wagon, too?
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Never. It was suggested and the end result was the HK45, which is just fine. It makes no sense for a company like HK to make a 1911.

ya there is a interview somewhere that has Larry Vickers saying it started as a 1911 and then Sig dropped their 1911... this led HK to rethink their own 1911 program.

Quote Originally Posted by G3Kurz
    HK GmbH did design an HK-style M1911 pistol in the early 2000's for an American SOF unit and for commercial sale. The design exists in the CAG machines at HK GmbH and I have a drawing of the pistol complete with unit insignia and signitures from those who were involved in the project. It was not pursued not due to the projected unit cost but because at that time HK had TOO MANY projects in the works, many of which were VERY time sensitive. With limited design, testing and prototype staff available to work on SA80 Mid-Life Improvement, XM8, HKM4/HK416, MG4, MP7 and UMP, various pistols and grenade launchers to include GMG, etc. the "HK1911" was dropped.

It would have been a very unique 1911 with CHF barrel with O-ring, external extractor, removable MIL STD 1913 rail, modular controls, special surface finish, fully interchangeable parts, and a high reliability magazine that was one of the reasons the project got started to begin with.

Like the HK416, had the HK1911 been built and adopted by the unit we were working with it is likely that like the HK416 it would have been considered the very best 1911 available and many customers would have purchased it as a result.

G3Kurz
    Quote Originally Posted by G3Kurz
    Once again folks contrary to what has been claimed in various gun rags and at training courses, Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn DID NOT design the HK1911 nor did they design the HK45. The pistol design team at HK GmbH lead by chief designer Helmut Weldle designed the guns and the guys in the Protoype Shop there produced the protoypes and those in the Firing Lab tested them. Funny others never mention them. Larry and to a lesser extent Ken had input on what features these two guns were to have as did various other members of HK at that time who always go unmentioned in this revisionist history. In fact the features of the HK45 were in fact what US HK staff had been asking for in the USP45CT for 2 years (for WARCOM) prior to the start of the HK45 effort. There is an annoying tendency for folks to take full credit for something they took part in but did not do all by themselves. The HK1911 and HK45, and HKM4/HK416, are classic examples. Both pistols were a team approach and there is no "I" in team. Without the designers and prototype makers in Oberndorf, and the leadership of then HK CEO Ernst Mauch, neither design would have ever seen the light of day that I can assure you.

G3Kurz
    G3Kurz was an employee at H&K USA for quite some time, and retired... mid-2000s? Not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by razzman1
    Here you go. Along with text sent along.

The trained eye will make out key elements in this photo taken at HK GmbH during the initial design workup of the HK1911. No prototypes were ever built. The drawing represents what HK designers loaded in the the CAD system after a detailed review oft he basic M1911 design. The HK mods were added later. What would have made the HK-made 1911 unique in the market included:

1. Fully interchangeable parts w/o hand fitting.
    2. Link-less locking system.
    3. HK CHF barrel with O-ring.
    4. Removable MIL STD 1913 rail adapter.
    5. External Extractor ala HK style.
    6. High reliability HK magazines (8 and 10 rd)
    7. HK KTL Surface Finish.
    8. Reworked Safety Detent Housing.
    9. Modular controls.
    10. Dual recoil/buffer spring assembly.
    11. Bushingless barrel interface.
    12. Other enhancements to improve function and reliability.

It was never built because HK GmbH simply had way too many more pressing R&D efforts on the front burner - XM8, HKM4/HK416, SA80A2, MP7, P30, P46, GMG, MG4, etc. This likely would have been Helmut Weldle's last new handgun design effort.
    I believe razzman1 is John Rasmussen, who is on the H&K competitive shooting team.

With my HK 45 (1911) 25 yards
    I even have the Compact 45 (1911)

Would love to see a single stack 45 with a quality trigger from HK, but I am not holding my breath.

User Tag List