Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grand Powers of Slovakia

Grand Powers of Slovakia

I try to resist the temptation for obscure pistols but the gun hipster in me can’t shake these. I have one inbound. The new generation frame MK12 K100 (full-size) and P1 (compact) look promising. The race gun models with the open slides are not my cup of tea but the comp shooters around the Globe like the features.

Attachment 3115

This video put me in a trance, but it was awesome watching the process.

The founder/owner Jaroslav Kuracina is former Slovakian Army and there is no denying his passion. They have many models in various calibers. I really like the 2 shot burst K102 and full auto K105.
    Time will tell if these make a mark. It’s easy to dismiss anything new.

I know, just shoot my Glocks and march on…..

Grand Powers have some popularity in Canada, seemingly due to their low retail price points. I seem to recall Slavex put one through it's paces a few years ago, maybe he'll chime in with his impressions.

Site Supporter
    Supposedly it's the plastic answer to the Tanfo pistols with the light DA triggers and even lighter SA triggers.

I wouldn't take one seriously, but then, as has been previously mentioned, not every gun is for swimming through the Mekong with a knife clenched in your teeth.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I think I have one of these on the way next month or so for testing? There was some discussion of reviewing their 10mm but I can't remember where that landed.

The big issue I have seen is disassembly and reassembly, which generates a substantial number of WTFs.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I'm on the fence with the whole thing after witnessing multiple X-Cals fire when depressing the safety. Now bear in mind this only happened when the safety was accidentally pushed up part way during firing and then when depressed made the gun go bang. But seeing it happen with a 4 or 5 different guns makes me not a big fan.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Weren't there also some durability issues with the earlier versions, either as Grand Powers and/or in their STI guise?

Best, Jon

I got a Mk7 K100 for $430 when Century was importing them. I've only put a few hundred rounds through mine, but it has worked well so far. A member on another forum made a review of his, and that review got me interested, so I bought one.

The recoil impulse feels softer than a full-sized CZ-75, and the trigger is one of the best out of box triggers I've handled, both in DA (smooth/light), and SA (light/crisp break), with a very short reset. I prefer cocked and locked pistols, and since these pistols don't come standard with decockers, I'd only ever carry it in SA with the safety on. I like the pistol so far. It is accurate and very easy to shoot. I believe this is now the service pistol for the Slovakian military.

These pistols had a few hiccups over the years here in the US. When STI imported them as the GP5/GP6, STI put their own hammers in the pistol for some reason, and these STI hammers were known to break into pieces. When Century imported them as the Grand Power K100, they had a recall on the barrels that effected the K100 and P1 pistols, and all pistols that had been sold were to be sent back to Century for a replacement barrel. The ones that Century hadn't sold yet all got replacement barrels as well, all of which were sent from Slovakia. For some reason, the mag capacity for the 9mm K100 model started at 17 rounds, then the mags were redesigned to hold 16, then the mags were redesigned again to now hold 15. The X-Calibur models use a modified sear/hammer for competition, so this may have something to do with them firing when depressing the safety, but I haven't heard of this happening on any of the standard K100 or P1 models.

They seem to keep on coming out with new models, and the owner seems to want to bring these products here to the US. I believe Eagle Arms now imports these pistols.

I am at the start of a 2000 round test with a new K100 X-Trim. I will be running it in a large IPSC match in March. So far (500 rounds) I really like the trigger, the safety is much improved over the earlier models and accuracy is very good. I'll try to find time to get some pics up and a more thorough report later this week.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    I'm on the fence with the whole thing after witnessing multiple X-Cals fire when depressing the safety. Now bear in mind this only happened when the safety was accidentally pushed up part way during firing and then when depressed made the gun go bang. But seeing it happen with a 4 or 5 different guns makes me not a big fan.
    That's unnerving.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Eagle is now the importer. I've been told they will have good part support. There is also a factory decocker version for some models that is awaiting importation approval. They have several sights available as well.

User Tag List