Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which revolver to purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I had forgotten about the 686 SSR. Do you think my concerns about the lock are overblown? The gun will almost certainly never be carried. That said I have not been impressed by the build quality of newer smiths. Thoughts on that? I agree that otherwise the Ruger seems like the gun for me based on my criteria.

edit: I should emphasize that my primary criteria is that the gun I buy is *nice*. I want to be happy owning it 20, 30 years down the line.
    The 686 SSR is really the gun that got me back into revolvers, and it is sort of a love hate relationship. First, the hate. Hate that it has the lock and a hole where it's soul leaks out. I Hate that it is full of MIM stuff that doesn't look right (including a transfer bar instead of a hammer nose...those come on Ruger Tanks ;-) ).
    Now the rest....I shoot the crap out of it and it just goes bang. I changed to a front Fiber optic in a couple of minutes with no tools, it hits where I point it and feels like an extension of my hand (the very expensive Nill grips help in this department). I dry practice with it more than anything and the action just keeps getting better. It is cheap to shoot and runs almost exclusively on easy to find USA or American Eagle 130gr jacketed round nose. It would make a great carry gun and feels more like a 3" K than a 4" L frame. Overall, the thing is a winner even if it is really the "Souless" revolver in my very large armory of bad ass wheel guns.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

You could just look at the plain old GP100. The newer GP's seem to have much better out of the box triggers than the old ones that I remember from back in the day. I'm liking mine a lot, and this is coming from a guy that, like 5 years ago, wouldn't touch a Ruger DA revo.

More votes for the 686 SSR of the WC II. I liked my SSR. I just disabled the lock. Had an OK trigger to start with, after a trigger job it was great. I replaced the front sight with a FO. Woulda replaced the rear with a extreme duty rear if I kept it.

I'm seriously thinking about adding a WCII to my collection.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Honestly, if you're going for "heirloom quality", I'd look for an N-frame S&W (Models 28 or 27). They can still be found for less than $800 if you're patient.

You can buy a GP100 any day of the week, this is a special occasion.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Honestly, if you're going for "heirloom quality", I'd look for an N-frame S&W (Models 28 or 27). They can still be found for less than $800 if you're patient.

Chris
    There is a lot of truth to this. I would even look for a .38/44 Heavy Duty as an alternative too. All the Smiths made before about 1960 are really impressive for the checkering and finishing.

Unfortunately, I don't think I would run a M27/28 or .38/44 HD in competition. At least not regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    There is a lot of truth to this. I would even look for a .38/44 Heavy Duty as an alternative too. All the Smiths made before about 1960 are really impressive for the checkering and finishing.

Unfortunately, I don't think I would run a M27/28 or .38/44 HD in competition. At least not regularly.
    As soon as I get some decent speedloaders and holders, I plan to run my M28 just for the heck of it. ;-)
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post

Chris
    That's what hit me last year when I came across a 4" Model 28 no dash last year and snapped it up.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Ruger GP100

Match Champion: SS, FO front sight, Novak plain rear and 4" tube

Wiley Clapp I: SS, FO front sight, novak plain rear and 3" tube

Wiley Clapp II: blued, gold bead front, Novak plain rear and 3" tube

WCII / SP101 WC / WCII

Gold bead Novaks
    What load are those WC Rugers sighted in for?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    What load are those WC Rugers sighted in for?
    and how readily available are they?

The suggestion of getting a model 28 is very tempting. The B&M gun stores nearby are not the best for selection or prices so I will surely be buying online. Lucky to have a good tabletop FFL nearby. Besides classifieds/gunbroker, are there any distributors that get surplus Smiths in stock on a semi-regular basis? Otherwise the 686 SSR or Match Champion seem like really solid choices. It'd be nice to stick with Smiths for consistency of ergonomics, but I am originally from CT so the Rugers hold some sentimental appeal as well

Wish I could just buy all of em!

The sights are closer with 125's but shoot pretty close to POA with 158's.

Clapps are readily available. Apparently Talo and Ruger decided to ignore the initial 2000 and 2500 unit limits on the SS and blued Clapps. If I were a collector I'd have been pissed off that they seem to have double (at least) the advertised production.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List