Thread: AR Bolt Catch Assembly Help

AR Bolt Catch Assembly Help

I'm putting together my first build with a JD Machine Tech lower and a White Oak Armament LPK. The bolt catch seems awfully tight. Without the spring and detent in place, shouldn't the bolt catch slide into it's slot freely so the roll-pin holes align? Thanks.

Yes it should.

Pics will probably help us help you.

This is about as far as I can insert the bolt catch. I'm assuming it needs to be level so that the catch's "shelf" rides on top of the channel.

Name:  bc1.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  35.0 KB

Name:  bc3.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  31.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You either have an oversized bolt catch or an undersized slot in the receiver. I don’t suppose you have another bolt catch to try?

Try squirting some oil on it and see if that helps. You may need to work it in a little but it should not take too much force.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    You either have an oversized bolt catch or an undersized slot in the receiver. I don’t suppose you have another bolt catch to try?
    I'm fairly certain the bolt catch was oversized. I had another lower and it wouldn't fit in it either (although I ordered the 2 lowers together and I suppose they could both be out of spec ... which would kinda suck). I figured it's always best to alter the least expensive part, so I ended up taking a medium diamond file to the bolt catch until it fit.

Site Supporter
    If you have a lower built to spec, then a spec bolt catch should drop in WITH NO FITTING.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I just measured a few. The catches are running .152-.154" and the slot in the receiver of are running .159-.164". If you don't calipers handy, in terms of common house hold items, two nickels should fit in the slot of the receiver with maybe a hair of wiggle room.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I'm just wondering if that is a mag catch for an AR10 pattern gun? The paddle also kind of looks oversized. I'd just get yourself a AR15 spec catch and try it out.

User Tag List