Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: BATFE Intends to Revoke M855 AP Ammo Exemption

SS109/M855 has a combination core made up of steel and lead. it does not meet the material requirements for an AP round. ATF is saying that because one part of a combination core is steel, it is considered AP, which is not what the law says...

(B) The term “armor piercing ammunition” means—
    (i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
    (ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

Dick move, ATF.

Except as provided in Category I (.22 caliber rimfire), projectiles that otherwise would be classified as armor piercing ammunition will be presumed to be “primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes” under section 921(a)(17)(C) if the projectile is loaded into a cartridge for which the only handgun that is readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade is a single shot handgun. ATF nevertheless retains the discretion to deny any application for a “sporting purposes” exemption if substantial evidence exists that the ammunition is not primarily intended for such purposes.
    The way I read that, M855 isn't the only stuff they can touch.

A lot of the 7.62x54R is loaded with a steel core, and during the SIG brace craze there were/are a few companies making "pistols" on PSL receivers. Could be another repeat of the Chinese steel core and 5.45x39 bans. Looks like I'll be buying a few cans for my Finn.

The cheap Chinese Norinco 7.62x39 was banned because Olympic Arms started to build a 7.62 AR pistol, and cared not one bit that they were screwing over everyone that liked buying and shooting that cheap ammo. Sounds like they are trying to do exactly the same thing here.

I note with interest that by the strict letter of the law M855 does not meet the standards for AP ammo as the law is written due to having a combo steel and lead core.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

God, this is infuriating. Back door gun control.
    #RESIST

Great,another run on 5.56 ammo thanks the the goons at Obozo's ATF

I might call this grasping if gov't agencies didn't have such a big grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by mcantu View Post
    SS109/M855 has a combination core made up of steel and lead. it does not meet the material requirements for an AP round. ATF is saying that because one part of a combination core is steel, it is considered AP, which is not what the law says...

(B) The term “armor piercing ammunition” means—
    (i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
    (ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.
    Exactly. I sent them an E-mail explaining this, respectfully and politely, including a reference to the law (18 U.S.C., § 921(a)(17)(B)) and a link to it on the BATFE website, as well as a cut-away of the M855 cartridge/projectile.

This is what we can currently legally do, as citizens.

Send them an E-mail or letter or whatever.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Please, Jesus, stop Ohio Ordnance from building a BAR "pistol". That's all I'm asking you for. Amen.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Part of the retarded aspect of this, wasnt the entire "armor piercing ammo" thing supposed to be about being able to penetrate soft body armor?

...and wont just about any high velocity hunting rifle caliber or load do that? The 855 ammo type ban makes no sense in that regard, it doesnt make any practical difference in regards to the supposed reason for the armor piercing ammo restrictions.

I just realized I was trying to apply common sense. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Part of the retarded aspect of this, wasnt the entire "armor piercing ammo" thing supposed to be about being able to penetrate soft body armor?

...and wont just about any high velocity hunting rifle caliber or load do that? The 855 ammo type ban makes no sense in that regard, it doesnt make any practical difference in regards to the supposed reason for the armor piercing ammo restrictions.

I just realized I was trying to apply common sense. Sorry.
    Correct on all accounts.

User Tag List