Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kydex holster- Covering mag release?

Kydex holster- Covering mag release?

All my HK holsters have covered mag buttons (this burden of dad humor is coursing through my veins).

The only non-paddle mag release holster I've owned that covers the mag button is the CCC Shaggy and it worked very well. Back when I had abs, I popped a few Glock mags out with thin AIWB kydex holsters. Fortunately, I was crouched over and all by my lonesome each time it happened.

Honest question (and forgive my ignorance): If a WHO reload doesn't utilize any retention, why is it such a big deal during a SHO reload?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Great info, guys. Thanks for the input. Byron, thanks for the link.

A lot of good points to ponder here.

Seems like it might be a bad idea for a RH button release, but a good idea for paddle release?

In the case of my VP9, it seems like it would be easier to inadvertently pop the mag out than with a button type release. (I have no experience to back that up, it just appears that way to me.) So for the HK I was thinking that a covered mag release might be the way to go, but I don't want to go that route if it causes more problems than it solves.

Honest question (and forgive my ignorance): If a WHO reload doesn't utilize any retention, why is it such a big deal during a SHO reload?
    In my noobness, I would like to hear thoughts on this also...

Kydex holster- Covering mag release?

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    ...In the case of my VP9...
    I wouldn't worry about it in your case. Paddle mag buttons are much more difficult to actuate inadvertently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Seems like it might be a bad idea for a RH button release, but a good idea for paddle release?
    I don't think it's a bad idea either way. Given the nature of how every minuscule problem results in a witch hunt thread on every forum know to man I would suspect if there were issues you'd be able to hunt down at least one thread.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

+2
    All My P30 IWB kydex holsters cover both sides of mag release

In my experience, it is an absolute necessity to cover the mag release on a pocket holster. I usually carry a BUG in the LH front pocket & found through normal activities in the shop that too often the mag release had been pressed when I've used a pocket holster without this feature. 380s suck enough without being single shots!

Something else to be aware of if you purchase a Kydex holster with a covered mag release - if you have an extended magazine release installed on your firearm (particularly Glocks) it may hang up or depress if the builder did not anticipate you running an extended release. The commercially available Glock molds have a standard height release.

TLR - If you want an extended release that is covered, let your builder know.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    What advantages do you see to not having the magazine release uncovered by the holster? Granted, the ability to switch magazines with the pistol holstered can be handy in training and administrative environments, but I've seen drama with magazine releases activated by accident.
    I've actually experienced more self-ejecting magazines with covered mag buttons in both leather & kydex holsters because pressure anywhere on the holster body can compress it enough to actuate the button if you're unlucky. In fact, the last Milt Sparks holster I owned got returned because of this problem.

While not pertinent to being in a fight, I have so far spent substantially more time on a training range than in gunfights (infinitely so, mathematically speaking ) and so the convenience of admin reloads is something I appreciate. The years I spent with the HKs (P30 and HK45) I always winced when I had to draw the gun slightly to perform admin reloads. Nonetheless there are times on a populated range when it's just not convenient (or even possible) to draw your pistol and reload normally. Again, not saying this is a priority but from a practical training standpoint I'd just assume have access to the mag button.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I've actually experienced more self-ejecting magazines with covered mag buttons in both leather & kydex holsters because pressure anywhere on the holster body can compress it enough to actuate the button if you're unlucky. In fact, the last Milt Sparks holster I owned got returned because of this problem.
    Which Milt Sparks holster and gun combination did you have that covered the mag button? Sparks always seemed like the "don't cover the mag button" type of maker.

We are diminished
    JTQ -- It was an #EX for a P229 with reversed mag catch. I told them the mag catch was reversed when I ordered the holster but it still came with a covered mag button. I'd used other #EX's for years with reversed buttons in both Berettas and SIGs and never had a problem when the catch wasn't covered.

User Tag List