Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kydex holster- Covering mag release?

Kydex holster- Covering mag release?

I have noticed that some Kydex holster designs cover the mag release and some don't.

I guess I would like to ask for some opinions of why you guys think one design is superior to the other, or if it even really matters.

Most of the time it is an oversight by the maker though some people request it. Often lefties will request it as their belt may hit it if IWB. More often than not, at least on my communications with other kydex people, is that they never thought about it.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I've never seen a holster with a covered mag release, but there are lots of garage Kydex guys out there. Being able to do administrative mag changes are nice.

Covering the button on lefty holsters is a good idea
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

The CCC Uno for my M&P is the only kydex holster I own that covers the mag release. Not sure if it was done by design, but I really like how it worked out. It just barely covers the mag release, and there is enough clearance on the opposite side that it allows you to drop the mag while holstered, just requires like twice as much force as normal in just the right spot.

I like it. Either a great design or happy accident. I have seen pistol mags become unseated(at the range) quite a few times, for one reason or another. It happened in a gun that I was carrying once. Never did figure out how.

For the record, I really like the CCC Uno(FBI cant). It is fairly inexpensive for a good kydex holster, and my sample has what I consider to be the best retention characteristics of any kydex I've yet tried(JM custom aiwb, Raven phantom, KTmech and multiple of friend's and brother's holsters). Holds real firm, but draws good too, and adjustable retention. I think I bought it just because I saw it on his ready to ship list. In retrospect, would have been a deal at twice the price. The universe must have aligned perfectly when that holster was formed.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Most of the time it is an oversight by the maker though some people request it. Often lefties will request it as their belt may hit it if IWB. More often than not, at least on my communications with other kydex people, is that they never thought about it.
    In dealing with several start-up, garage kydex benders, I've found this to be the case more often than not. Some even tried to claim it was done intentionally, which I did not believe.

At first I hated it, but after modifying one of these myself, I stumbled upon half-covering it, which it turns out I'm a fan of. There's enough covering that it won't get accidentally pressed, but enough room for me to slip a finger in and relsase it if I want to.

I have used both. Despite my TV abs I have not had a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Here's a thread I started a while back on the same subject:
    Holsters - do you prefer them to cover the mag release, or no?

Most of my kydex holsters leave the mag release uncovered. My Shaggy came with a covered mag release, but I trimmed that material away.

Not too long ago, I purchased a used Dale Fricke Archangel to try out (for a Gen3 G17). It completely covers the mag release, and best I can tell, was molded for the OEM release. If I holster a Glock in it that uses an extended release, it doesn't instantly poop out the mag, but there are absolutely times when pressure on the holster will result in this happening. In fact, if I position it between my belt/body juuuuuuust right (or I guess I should say 'wrong'), the mag appears seated, but can actually come free while just wearing the holster.

Since all my mag releases are setup for a righty, I prefer that they remain completely uncovered. I've never had a problem with an uncovered mag release, but I have experienced problems with covered ones (even if not all the time).
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Site Supporter
    What advantages do you see to not having the magazine release uncovered by the holster? Granted, the ability to switch magazines with the pistol holstered can be handy in training and administrative environments, but I've seen drama with magazine releases activated by accident.

I prefer the mag release uncovered. All of my holsters leave the mag release uncovered, though it wasn't a conscious decision by me to seek that feature when I bought the first couple of them, but I do look for that feature now when buying holsters.

Over the years on various forums, I've seen guys demand their mag releases be covered by the holster to protect the mag release from being activated, and in the same thread other guys comment their mag release was activated by their holster as Byron mentioned above. Most of those that I've seen comment about their holsters activating their mag releases usually have a hybrid holster like the Crossbreed type with relatively thin leather covering their mag release and not stiff kydex as is the OP's question. I've got to believe some of those big mag buttons, such as the Gen 4 Glocks or some of the aftermarket buttons like Byron mentioned could really be a problem for holsters not specifically designed with those buttons in mind.

User Tag List