Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Indian man, 57, paralyzed after encounter with police

Indian man, 57, paralyzed after encounter with police

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/12/us/ala...ing/index.html

(note... I don't agree with the URL wording btw... at least not at this time given the lack of info.)

Seems like a language barrier and cultural differences created the situation. The question would be, what could be done differently?

If I find other articles with more detail I'll link them as well.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

What, exactly, do you disagree with regarding the article's title? What leads you to believe his injuries are not as reported?

As to what could be done differently......so long as police culture remains one of instant overwhelming physical domination no matter how slight the resistance, nothing.

"...so long as police culture remains one of instant overwhelming physical domination no matter how slight the resistance, nothing."
    Really?

Your rather inflammatory comments seem to fly in the face of the numerous studies documenting that LE officers use significantly less lethal force that legally authorized.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Feelings > Facts
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

That victim of police brutality's reality > "unbiased" studies

Was there police brutality? I did not see that the use of force investigation was complete; did I miss something?
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    so long as police culture remains one of instant overwhelming physical domination no matter how slight the resistance, nothing.
    I think you're going to need to back that up.

You might be surprised at how often officers use less force than they would be justified to use. You might also be surprised at how often officers do not use deadly force when they would be justified to.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

the url contains the words "alabama-police-beating". That's pretty inflammatory language without a full accounting of the event being given. I'd consider Rodney King or Abner Louima to be "police beatings." Even the bare description in the article doesn't make it sound like they went all Mike Tyson on the guy.

I'm more interested in learning how to prevent future incidences like this where there's a clear language/cultural disconnect. Based on the limited information it seems everything went south when the guy put his hand in his pocket. There was no description of what he was reaching for, so we don't know if it was a scrap of paper, a cell phone, or what.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Was there police brutality? I did not see that the use of force investigation was complete; did I miss something?
    No need for an investigation…..I'm sure the media got it 100% correct. They always do. What I find so F-ing funny is most people would probably be suspect of any media report other than one on police brutality.

I'm going to violate my personal rule about discussing police stuff on-line. Language barrier or not, if you reach into your pocket while being investigated as a suspicious person, your hand is going to get pinned and you will get patted down. If you pull away or resist that, you will get controlled. Just because you can't/won't speak English doesn't buy you a pass to stick your hand in your pocket and pull it out while I wait to see if it's a gun or your cigarettes. How hard that control is depends on a number of things, mostly driven by the person with their hand in their pocket.

Spoken my a guy who policed in one place or another for 35 years, and whose only scars came from a 5 ft tall women who I didn't control hard enough.

Was there excessive use of force? I don't know and I won't presume either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    What, exactly, do you disagree with regarding the article's title? What leads you to believe his injuries are not as reported?

As to what could be done differently......so long as police culture remains one of instant overwhelming physical domination no matter how slight the resistance, nothing.
    For every one of these outlier incidents you can find I can bring up a hundred, perhaps thousands, of cases where officer were assaulted due to lack of action and being hesitant to apply force.

The Kyle Dinkheller case is a glaring example of an officer being too nice and it costing him his life.

In the US there are MILLIONS of police citizen encounters every year in which zero force is used. Millions. ANY force being used by the police is statistically a low probability event. That doesn't even take into account that in the vast majority of cases involving police use of force the force used was clearly justified.

This bad guy probably should have been shot, yet he wasn't;
    http://www.downvids.net/attempted-sh...er-600841.html
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List