Thread: SHO WHO training help

SHO WHO training help

I did some searches to look for some answers but couldn't find a good complete answer. Looking for some guidance on SHO/WHO training. Bottom line, I'm ok with two hand after years of practicing but I have neglected SHO and WHO (we don't train what we don't like). I do it enough to get through an IDPA match or so but honestly, I'm slow and ungainly inaccurate (You all know the moment at one point or another where you wonder "Man, I know I don't have blanks in pistol calibers. Did that just happen?") Lets just say those 8" steel plates at 25yds just relax and chuckle when I step up for SHO/WHO.

I know the answer is MORE PRACTICE but I want to garner some knowledge to practice better. What is your stance? I read one post from TLG who said he doesn't change his feet at all and that makes sense. Playing the "foot dance" takes time and effort. Do you stay squared up in ISO towards the target? Lock your arm straight out? Look down your shoulder? I haven't really found any good reputable videos on the web.

What would be a good practice for dry fire? It seems many, many repetitions of dry fire will help but since I don't like it, SHO/WHO just feels awkward so I want to get some tips for technique before I practice poorly and form negative habits. I signed up for a Hackathorn class next October and read that he likes SHO/WHO engagements based on data he has seen. I figure I better get it together before I look like a complete idiot.

Thanks for any input.

TLG published this dry fire routine a few years ago. http://pistol-training.com/archives/5185

Site Supporter
    That dry fire routine of Todd's is good. I'd start working small targets up close. Forget the 25 yard stuff until you can consistently hit a 1" sqare out to 5 yard or 2" circle at 10. Work your way back to a 3x5" at 15. The whole aim small, miss small has helped my 1 handed shooting.

I've observed over the years that my one-handed shooting is much better when I'm in shape and working on my grip strength regularly. What's your upper body strength like? It's a lot easier to shoot well when you're not taxing yourself to hold the gun steady.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

One reason two hands is easier, is you can use your support hand to grip like crazy, with relatively less gripping with your dominant hand to keep your trigger finger more relaxed. If you try to grip the crap out of the pistol with just one hand, it negatively effects your trigger control. For me, the answer is to lock out my elbow, to simulate the support a second hand normally provides, while still allowing the hand grip to be "normal" and allow trigger finger to be more relaxed than having a death grip.

You can simulate the difference by pressing an imaginary trigger with your arm bent and watching what happens, then repeating with your elbow locked out. I find it much easier to press the trigger without disturbing the sights with my elbow locked.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

In addition to what GJM said, I've found I need to put my finger on the trigger differently to compensate. Not only that, but WHO I have my trigger finger buried all the way to the distal joint, whereas I'm on the pad SHO and nearer the tip for two-handed. I'm in a similar boat in that I'm tailoring my dry fire routine to get better at this, so my finger position may move as I teach myself to better isolate my trigger finger movement straight to the rear.

Not that this will be your solution, only one that I found works interim.
    Outrunning my headlights since '81.

User Tag List