Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Variable Power Scopes (what does the money buy you?)

There is absolutely no comparison between the pst and the NF, unless all you do is shoot on a well lit range for fun.

In low light the NF blows the pst away. For resolution (PID) the NF blows the pst away. For durability under sometimes unforseen circumstances the NF blows the pst away. And then there are all the things that F2S said.

A few friends and I have gone through right around 10 pst scopes. As in broken right around 10. Never tried to break a scope, never abused it. Just used it on the range. Never broke a NF.

I can't say this clearly enough, and I don't meant o sound rude at all. Anyone who thinks that a pst and a NF are at all similar, has never run a NF.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I would be PISSED if I ordered that scope and only the center dot was illuminated when I got it.

This image would indicate to me that the horseshoe should light up, and possibly not even the dot in the center.

I wonder if they're going with illuminated dot only on this scope because of the issues illuminating the horseshoe on the CMR reticle for the MK6. My understanding is the field of presentation for the illumination on the CMR reticle is very narrow. If you are not centered up the illumination can disappear.

The older my eyes get the more I appreciate good quality glass. The glass on the MK6 I got to play with a few months ago was awesome but at that price point, the illumination should be better. Im really hoping night force comes out with a 1X – 6X.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I would be PISSED if I ordered that scope and only the center dot was illuminated when I got it.

This image would indicate to me that the horseshoe should light up, and possibly not even the dot in the center.

I called work and had them order me one today. Hopefully I can post some pics in a few weeks. Now, someone go buy my Glock so I can pay for this stupid thing, lol!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post

A few friends and I have gone through right around 10 pst scopes. As in broken right around 10. Never tried to break a scope, never abused it. Just used it on the range. Never broke a NF.
    Out of curiosity what broke?

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    That's very interesting. I wonder if it means the reticle will also extend to the edge of the field of view rather than the floating reticle in the image. I've always thought that fiber-based illumination requires a wire reticle that extends to the edge of the FoV.
    I believe you're correct. I own a VX-6 Multigun with the SPR thingy, and I looked briefly at the VX-6 1-6 with the CMR at SHOT. The one they had at SHOT, at least, was not a Firedot, and the illumination didn't seem particularly bright, though again I only looked at it briefly (my attention wavered when they started giving away Sierra Nevada Pale Ale...)

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    To the OP:
    The better optics have better near-edge image, which is very important to those using holds.
    The better optics have reticle subtentions that are accurate.
    The better optics have adjustments that are true and consistent.
    The better optics do not have zero shift across the magnification range.
    The better optics tend not to fall apart in use.
    The better optics have lens coatings and image clarity optimized for near dark conditions, where those things are really important, not the light conditions of Wal-Mart.
    The better optics work with in-line clip-on night vision devices.
    The better optics are capable of passing demanding testing.
    The better optics have long-term warranties.
    The better optics are made in the USA, supporting companies that enthusiastically support your right to bear arms, and the games that we play.
    There are some decent European and Japanese-based optics, and they're ok for some applications, but when it comes to the high-cost stuff, I stay domestic.
    I have far less experience than yourself, but I have yet to see anything come out of America that can hang with the kahles and Swarovski offerings. Can you expound on why you prefer optically inferior American scopes? Is it reticle preference or patriotism or a measure of testing in some other area that sways you? All I know is what I've seen looking through the various 1x-?? Optics and nothing is remotely close to z6i and k16i to my eyes. Others are good for sure. But not as good.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

The older my eyes get the more I appreciate good quality glass. The glass on the MK6 I got to play with a few months ago was awesome but at that price point, the illumination should be better. Im really hoping night force comes out with a 1X – 6X.
    If I was looking to pay mk6 prices I'd probably go with the Z6i

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I have far less experience than yourself, but I have yet to see anything come out of America that can hang with the kahles and Swarovski offerings. Can you expound on why you prefer optically inferior American scopes? Is it reticle preference or patriotism or a measure of testing in some other area that sways you? All I know is what I've seen looking through the various 1x-?? Optics and nothing is remotely close to z6i and k16i to my eyes. Others are good for sure. But not as good.
    If it were 1994, I'd probably be in full agreement with you.
    The daylight clarity of Kahles/Swaro/S&B is generally good, but not applicably better than NF, Leupold, or USO of recent manufacture.
    Leupold in particular has stood out as upping their game from basically rebranded hunting scopes to truly world-class tactical optics. When the full balance of the Mk6 3-18x (not what this thread is about, but most applicable to the comment being discussed) is compared to the similar offerings from Europe, the Mk6 stands head and shoulders above in every aspect that actually makes a difference.

Whenever possible, given similar performance and price, I prefer to use products that are built by Americans.
    You would be surprised by how many companies try to dance around where their optics are made.

I am a fan of the H27D and H59 reticles.

Other testing involving night vision devices also sways me toward specific manufacturers.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I called work and had them order me one today. Hopefully I can post some pics in a few weeks. Now, someone go buy my Glock so I can pay for this stupid thing, lol!
    If the choice becomes one of having to pick between the dot being daylight visible with a forgiving viewing angle vs. the horseshoe lit and not being daylight visible and having an unforgiving viewing angle, I'll take the former.

I spent a good bit of time with the 1.5-4 (VX-R Patrol, I think?) with the firedot and found that to be readily acquired and daylight visible. I'd be happy with the new Multigun reticule and only the dot illuminated if it was the same.

My experience with all of this is about 15 year behind the times so bear that in mind.
    I am impressed with Nightforce NSX scopes.
    When I was shooting a McMillian Tac 50 the scope I used was a Nightforce NSX 5.5-22 in Badger Ordnance 6 screw rings. At the time I chose this because after talking to people in FCSA (Fifty Caliber Shooters Association) etc... I gained the impression that the NSX was the only variable that was holding up to the abuse caused by 50 BMG muzzle breaks. (Before this I had used fixed power Leupold Mark 4s.) The brakes create a back and forth jarring that is hard on optics. The NSX scope has very clear with repeatable adjustments and held up to the Tac 50.
    I am sure there have been many changes since then.

Repeatability of adjustments, durability, clarity and quality of glass are some of what I see as benefits in high end optics.

User Tag List