Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Variable Power Scopes (what does the money buy you?)

Just another data point. I asked Leupold the following:
    Hello, I'm interested in the Leupold VX-6 Multigun 1-6 scope with the
    CMR-2 reticle. I've handled the one with the Firedot SPR reticle that
    was was an option through SWFA/Leupold Custom Shop. My question is in
    regards to the illumination on the CMR-2 version that is to be
    released. Will the illumination be Firedot bright? Just the Center
    Dot or the whole Horseshoe? Or, will it be like on the Mark 4 MR/T
    1.5-5? Also, is there an ETA for release of this scope with the
    CMR-2?

They answered with the following:
    The Multigun CMR-2 does use firedot technology so only the dot will be illuminated. We expect these scopes to be in distribution March 1st.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Just another data point. I asked Leupold the following:
    Hello, I'm interested in the Leupold VX-6 Multigun 1-6 scope with the
    CMR-2 reticle. I've handled the one with the Firedot SPR reticle that
    was was an option through SWFA/Leupold Custom Shop. My question is in
    regards to the illumination on the CMR-2 version that is to be
    released. Will the illumination be Firedot bright? Just the Center
    Dot or the whole Horseshoe? Or, will it be like on the Mark 4 MR/T
    1.5-5? Also, is there an ETA for release of this scope with the
    CMR-2?

The Multigun CMR-2 does use firedot technology so only the dot will be illuminated. We expect these scopes to be in distribution March 1st.
    I would be PISSED if I ordered that scope and only the center dot was illuminated when I got it.

This image would indicate to me that the horseshoe should light up, and possibly not even the dot in the center.

I guess i should have been more specific. At longer ranges, i absolutely agree that you should buy the best glass that you can afford. Shooting a silhouette at 400 yards max with an AR is very different from shooting a 1-2 moa target from 200-1000 yards. I guess my post should have been more specifically addressed to practical carbine shooting with a variable power scope. Does better glass of a night force 1-4 really makes that big of a difference over lets say Burris, or Vortex glass when you are shooting to max of 400 yards?

Quote Originally Posted by iakdrago View Post
    I guess i should have been more specific. At longer ranges, i absolutely agree that you should buy the best glass that you can afford. Shooting a silhouette at 400 yards max with an AR is very different from shooting a 1-2 moa target from 200-1000 yards. I guess my post should have been more specifically addressed to practical carbine shooting with a variable power scope. Does better glass of a night force 1-4 really makes that big of a difference over lets say Burris, or Vortex glass when you are shooting to max of 400 yards?
    To me it does. Same thing as having a true 1X on my the bottom end. Otherwise my eye suffers fatigue and my shooting suffers.
    Food Court Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I would be PISSED if I ordered that scope and only the center dot was illuminated when I got it.

This image would indicate to me that the horseshoe should light up, and possibly not even the dot in the center.

Based on the pic, I see where you're coming from but they have a disclaimer saying it is only a representative image. I actually feel the opposite about it. I much prefer an Aimpoint type dot for 1x fast shooting. I've used (and sold) the Bushnell 1-4 BTR Throwdown FFP scope and found that my eye does not enjoy a big glowing horseshoe. Too busy/distracting/covers too much target for close/fast headshots (for example). However, I believe the holdovers in the CMR2 are more useful than those in the SPR and also feel that in the absence of illumination (dead battery, etc) that the black horseshoe could still be used to some speed effect better than just a basic crosshair like on the Vortex 1-6 Razor (similar to the NF FC-2).
    Food Court Apprentice

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    That's very interesting. I wonder if it means the reticle will also extend to the edge of the field of view rather than the floating reticle in the image. I've always thought that fiber-based illumination requires a wire reticle that extends to the edge of the FoV.

Site Supporter
    Speaking of 1-4 optics, what is the difference between the Burris MTAC and the TAC 30 ?

They seem identical (1-4 30mm tube, size, weight, FOV, adjustments, reticle etc) except one is $100 more than the other.

To the OP:
    The better optics have better near-edge image, which is very important to those using holds.
    The better optics have reticle subtentions that are accurate.
    The better optics have adjustments that are true and consistent.
    The better optics do not have zero shift across the magnification range.
    The better optics tend not to fall apart in use.
    The better optics have lens coatings and image clarity optimized for near dark conditions, where those things are really important, not the light conditions of Wal-Mart.
    The better optics work with in-line clip-on night vision devices.
    The better optics are capable of passing demanding testing.
    The better optics have long-term warranties.
    The better optics are made in the USA, supporting companies that enthusiastically support your right to bear arms, and the games that we play.
    There are some decent European and Japanese-based optics, and they're ok for some applications, but when it comes to the high-cost stuff, I stay domestic.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    What I want is this
    http://www.leupold.com/tactical/scop...-multigun-cds/

What I'll wind up buying is this
    http://www.amazon.com/Leupold-1-6x24.../dp/B006PH68TE

I think the first one is too much of a premium for me, but I love the reticule in theory.

Edited to fix links.
    Rob, you'll probably be happier with the latter unless you are planning to get into past-300 shooting.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    To the OP:
    The better optics have better near-edge image, which is very important to those using holds.
    The better optics have reticle subtentions that are accurate.
    The better optics have adjustments that are true and consistent.
    The better optics do not have zero shift across the magnification range.
    The better optics tend not to fall apart in use.
    The better optics have lens coatings and image clarity optimized for near dark conditions, where those things are really important, not the light conditions of Wal-Mart.
    The better optics work with in-line clip-on night vision devices.
    The better optics are capable of passing demanding testing.
    The better optics have long-term warranties.
    The better optics are made in the USA, supporting companies that enthusiastically support your right to bear arms, and the games that we play.
    There are some decent European and Japanese-based optics, and they're ok for some applications, but when it comes to the high-cost stuff, I stay domestic.
    Thank you, i did not even know that there was a potential zero shift between different magnifications. I'm going to have to test out the vortex.

User Tag List