Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Variable Power Scopes (what does the money buy you?)

Variable Power Scopes (what does the money buy you?)

I have a Vortex PST 1-4 in an ADM quick detach mount that i occasionally put on my AR. I consider the optic to be a good general purpose optic. Glass is good--at least as good as i have seen without entering the $1000+ range. My only real complaint about it is weight (17 oz + another 7 for the mount). For comparison (aim point pro with mount is 11.6 oz, and my aim point t1 with arm mount is 7.2 oz.) The second complaint is bulkiness. The scope mount is big, and especially with the weight it dramatically alters the handling of the rifle.

Looking into the other scopes in that price range--i don't see a difference in weight/size. Actually, the Nightforce nsx is approximately the same weight and size. What exactly does the extra $1000 get you? Watching my friend abuse the piss out of his Vortex pst is what led me into buying mine, i honestly doubt that the Nightforce is THAT much more durable, and if not it's a moot point. Is the glass that much better?

On a side note, due to my initial stupidity i got the Vortex PST with the turrets. At the time i was thinking --same price more function. However, now i wish i have gotten the one with the caps. Less snag and probably more durable and also not having to worry about adjusting them if they get bumped. The only plus side is that i can quickly adjust the zero depending on whether i'm shooting wolf, m193, m855, or hornady tap 75 grain ammo. Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the turrets with caps, besides beating the crap of the scope and then sending it in for a replacement and taking advantage of the waranty?

Generally the more expensive optics are going to get you better clarity through better glass, and in many cases a brighter/better illumination (especially in daylight).

if the mount is what's bothering you, I'd suggest an Aero Precision mount. It's what I'll be using on my next gun (along with a Leupold 1-6x) with folding offest irons.

The money buys you durability, repeatability, and typically better glass/more reticle options. Generally speaking, the more expensive the glass, the more repeatable and accurate the adjustments are. If you are holding everything at distance, then it's not a huge concern...but you might want the better glass for spotting impacts and misses. I shoot in the PRS, and my number one concern with optics is that the scope tracks accurately and repeatedly...followed very closely by reticle choices and optical clarity. I'm constantly cranking the power down to search for targets in the field, and I dial just about everything that I can if time permits. As well, the more expensive the glass (rings/mounts), the less likelihood you will have of losing zero when you bump the scope on barricades, etc.

FWIW, I run a Kahles K624i with an MSR on my match gun, and Schmidt 5-25 on my practice gun. Both in Spuhr rings.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

if the mount is what's bothering you, I'd suggest an Aero Precision mount. It's what I'll be using on my next gun (along with a Leupold 1-6x) with folding offest irons.
    These mounts look very interesting.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

223AI pretty much summed it up. After upgrading to a S&B 5-25/MSR in a Spuhr mount, I found myself shooting matches at much lower magnification than I did with a Leupold Mk4. That alone is a massive advantage.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by 223AI View Post
    The money buys you durability, repeatability, and typically better glass/more reticle options. Generally speaking, the more expensive the glass, the more repeatable and accurate the adjustments are. If you are holding everything at distance, then it's not a huge concern...but you might want the better glass for spotting impacts and misses. I shoot in the PRS, and my number one concern with optics is that the scope tracks accurately and repeatedly...followed very closely by reticle choices and optical clarity. I'm constantly cranking the power down to search for targets in the field, and I dial just about everything that I can if time permits. As well, the more expensive the glass (rings/mounts), the less likelihood you will have of losing zero when you bump the scope on barricades, etc.

FWIW, I run a Kahles K624i with an MSR on my match gun, and Schmidt 5-25 on my practice gun. Both in Spuhr rings.
    I think this post goes to show that a lot of this has to do with application. I had to google "PRS" just to see what it was because I read 223AI's post and thought "man, I have no idea what he's talking about!"

Putting it into context helped
    http://www.precisionrifleseries.com/

I don't shoot those kinds of matches, don't think I ever would, and have no idea what goes on at them. But the comments about the ability to spot hits struck home with me, even as a multi-gun duffer.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    These mounts look very interesting.
    I've got one, vet slick. Super secure and lightweight. I dig the 3 built-in recoil lugs.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Generally the more expensive optics are going to get you better clarity through better glass, and in many cases a brighter/better illumination (especially in daylight).

Rob, what reticle and VX6 or Mark 6?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I think this post goes to show that a lot of this has to do with application. I had to google "PRS" just to see what it was because I read 223AI's post and thought "man, I have no idea what he's talking about!"

Putting it into context helped
    http://www.precisionrifleseries.com/

I don't shoot those kinds of matches, don't think I ever would, and have no idea what goes on at them. But the comments about the ability to spot hits struck home with me, even as a multi-gun duffer.
    Thanks, I guess the context would have helped. The Precision Rifle Series, for those that don't know, is basically USPSA/IDPA for precision rifle shooters. Most of the stages are designed from military, law enforcement, or hunting scenarios, and most of the points are scored from 200 - 1000 yards. Generally speaking there will be multiple target distances in a stage, the target sizes range from 1-2 moa, there is a lot of run/gun/barricaded/positional shooting, and all stages are under a time constraint.

Being able to spot hits AND misses is absolutely paramount in a successful stage. Although we'd all like first round impacts, the fact is that the first round is an educated guess with what the wind is doing at the shooter/max ordnance/and at the target...so I rely on my first bullet of the stage to tell me what the conditions REALLY are. Being able to spot that shot is critical...and that's what good glass buys you!

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Rob, what reticle and VX6 or Mark 6?
    What I want is this
    http://www.leupold.com/tactical/scop...-multigun-cds/

What I'll wind up buying is this
    http://www.amazon.com/Leupold-1-6x24.../dp/B006PH68TE

I think the first one is too much of a premium for me, but I love the reticule in theory.

Edited to fix links.
    Last edited by rob_s; 02-11-2015 at 03:31 PM.

User Tag List