Thread: Reduced Velocity Performance of several 5.56 loadings

Reduced Velocity Performance of several 5.56 loadings

*These tests were performed in clear "ballistics gel". I am unaware if it was calibrated or not, but I suspect not.*

I sent this ammunition to be tested by the owner of a 7.5" pistol.

Federal MK318
    average 2255fps penetration 21.5in. expansion of .48in. and retained weight of 46g from 62g

Hornady TAP
    average 2343fps penetration 23in. expansion of .41in. and retained weight of 55g from 55g

From a 14.5" barrel, the MK318 SOST will impact at 2255fps at around 215 yards. The Hornady loading would impact at 2343fps, at about 195 yards.

Not too shabby at all.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Not too shabby at all.
    Nope. Tester assures me videos will be up soon, as well as the RA556B and 64gr Gold Dot I sent him to test.

7.5 pistol

Funny
    Back 15yrs ago I / we would laugh at someone who wanted to use a 10.5 or 11.5 barrel carbine for SD
    No one recommended using such short barrel s because of the velocity needed in order for M193 / M855 to fragment.
    Not counting the concern of the 10.5 and 11.5 reliability back then.

Now we have better expanding bullets. (Although I still think the 60yr Nosler Partition still can hold its own)

And now we have GI over in the middle east using 7.5 barrel carbines hidden under the attire .

Boy how things change!

If I didn't have to go through the ATF BS I would switch to a shorter barrel carbine in a heart beat.

BTW
    Thanks for the info OP

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    7.5 pistol

Funny
    Back 15yrs ago I / we would laugh at someone who wanted to use a 10.5 or 11.5 barrel carbine for SD
    No one recommended using such short barrel s because of the velocity needed in order for M193 / M855 to fragment.
    Not counting the concern of the 10.5 and 11.5 reliability back then.

Now we have better expanding bullets. (Although I still think the 60yr Nosler Partition still can hold its own)

And now we have GI over in the middle east using 7.5 barrel carbines hidden under the attire .

Boy how things change!

If I didn't have to go through the ATF BS I would switch to a shorter barrel carbine in a heart beat.

BTW
    Thanks for the info OP
    I still find them obnoxious, and prefer 14.5-16" barrels, as I am not hiding it under my clothing. Mission drives the gear, though.

User Tag List