Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
Something Robbie says, is "guaranteed" is something you announce before you do it, and then do it, not something you decide was guaranteed after the fact. He is a stickler for deciding whether you are shooting match pace or in a learning/less sure pace before you shoot a string, not after. That is shooting discipline.
Mr. Leatham is correct IMO, but many people who excel in most any skilled discipline understand this and no doubt Kevin understood that already.

When I train, I will generally train with a set purpose for that drill, evolution, or even entire training session. Some days I will stick to a disciplined speed / hit ratio working on vision in relation to seeing my immediate world around me and processing that information. I will include vision as in seeing and reading my sights and the results of shots fired and only going as fast as I can do it, as if my life depended on it.

On other sessions or drills, I might work on inducing or forcing progression through increasing speeds and / or shrinking acceptable hit zones and hitting failure points. The twist is that I may start a day with one intention, but due to my results I might shift gears and work it differently as a whole. I will not force something bad if that is how my day is going. I will work with it and optimize my training by adjusting accordingly.

If we break it down to singular drills, each drill has a purpose before it starts and I generally stick to it. I may also shake things up from drill, to drill, to drill by flip flopping my purpose for each drill. If myself or a student starts getting too wild, I generally reel myself or them back in by throwing in an extreme fundamental / accuracy type of drill or place a small hard to hit target into the drill. As an example I just had a class this past week with a bunch of Federali types from 4 different alphabet soup entities. I was running a reload drill with a varied mag loadout and doing it on multiple steel targets @ 10 yards. I then went into a 2-2-2 type of drill. I noted that as repetitions increased misses became more frequent. Not unexpected. Too much gaming, lack of correct focus individually. So I threw in a 5" round plate at about 18 yards. It shifted focus and speed momentarily decreased as focus increased and soon enough all hits across the board increased with speed.

Many already understand this training concept. If they do not, they should try it out.