Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Passed it on.............

Passed it on.............

My youngest son turned twenty one at the end of January and he's currently home on leave. I decided to give him my old carry gun as a birthday present.

This was a present from my wife on our twentieth anniversary so it has sentimental value for me. I carried it for ten years before switching to a different gun this last summer. Since then it's sat ignored in the safe since I use another 1911 for competition. He's the only other serious shooter in the family and I taught him to shoot a handgun with this one, so it has sentimental value for him as well. Over the last few months he'd call and the conversation would always move to 1911's he'd been looking at. I kept telling him to hold off until he came home on leave and we'd look at some options, all the while hoping he wouldn't blow it for me. I was hoping it would mean something to him and it does. He actually got rather choked up when he unwrapped it and saw the blue Colt case. His wife told him, "I bet he'll get you a gun." but he never thought it would be *the gun*. Seeing the look on his face was well worth letting my old companion move on down the road.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

[Where words would be to describe how awesome this is,if they existed in the English language.]
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

It was an awesome moment to be sure and one I'd been looking forward to for quite a while. It's also a good excuse to buy a new one.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

My kids are many years too young for that moment, but as sure as I have guns that others have passed on to me, they will receive some from me. I can't wait for the day.

-shooter

This is just incredible. My son is many years from getting a few special 1911's I've stashed away for him. Your post is going to make the wait unbearable

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    That's righteous.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    [Where words would be to describe how awesome this is,if they existed in the English language.]
    Exactly.

Congrats and Happy Birthday Dad.!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I do not have any children to leave my guns to but I know that was an awesome moment for both of you.

Both my kids are gun nuts. My son will get my 686 and daughter my 645. My can only imagine the feeling. Since my wife bought me the 645 for my birthday 12 days before we got married I am not ready to let it go yet, soon though.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Awesome, sir!

User Tag List