Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Greece wants reparations from Germany for WWII

Site Supporter
    And Greece is already talking about reneging on 30% of the agreement that they signed to get those billions.

Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    And Greece is already talking about reneging on 30% of the agreement that they signed to get those billions.
    At this point I'm StuG-gling to see any sort of upside for Germany to even continue negotiating with the Greeks. It's literally lose/lose. Cut the purse strings and walk away from the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    That right there.

This is about as transparent an attempt at debt forgiveness as I've ever seen.
    Theyre betting Germany's desire to sustain the Euro against Junkers status will trump a hardline enforcement of the austerity requirements.

Best of luck, that. The smart Greeks are reading Fernando Aguierre's book.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    At this point I'm StuG-gling to see any sort of upside for Germany to even continue negotiating with the Greeks.
    Agreed. Any further negotiations should include how to claim Greece a territory of Germany, then clean house. If you're going to put your monetary neck out, you may as well get something for it.

Here's the Greek finance minister on 27th January:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102355646

It gets interesting at about the 2 minute mark.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Junkers
    Good one.

Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    Agreed. Any further negotiations should include how to claim Greece a territory of Germany, then clean house. If you're going to put your monetary neck out, you may as well get something for it.
    Were it not for Greece's membership in the Euro, that'd be the case.

There are broader implications at work, because how the Eurozone handles this problem will determine what the market expects going forward. Greece isn't the only nation with debt issues; if the market perceieves the currency taking a hit every time a nation has financial problems, the Euro's long term viability-and thus the ability of Germany,France, etc to borrow money as governments-sinks with Greece. Picture the US credit rating and bond performance being tied to the Bolivian budget, and you'd have an idea of the problem Germany faces.

Hence the loans. If Greece could be talked off the brink whilst being lent the money necessary to survive, long term bondholders and currency traders will stay confident in a stable Euro. If Greece fails, investors will cast leery eyes toward Italy and Spain before sending one penny to a European bond issuer.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    One branch of my family is from Ireland for the most part. I plan to sue one of my arms on behalf of my left leg as another part came from England if you go back far enough. I have some concerns about my torso and at least a third of my head, however, as our genetic haplotype indicates a fair amount of viking involvement and there is no question that vikings flat out abused the saxons and celts. Frankly I'm not sure what my fiduciary responsibility to myself is at this point. But the bottom line is that I'm owed something and I'm not resting until I'm paid for the pain and suffering I didn't personally experience.
    Outstanding!

At this point the UK, Switzerland, and the few Scandinavian countries that haven't joined the EMU/EU/Eurozone are going "I told you so".

If Germany were smart, and cared for its national survival, it would join them and let the Euro sink. But that would be "nationalist" and we can't have that.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    If Greece thought it would catch Germany with its Panzers down, they were wrong.
    Germany: 273 Leopard 2 (currently, target: 225)
    Greece: 170 Leo 2A6 + 183 Leo 2A4 + 501 Leo 1A5 + M48/M60

So, no, not really. And yes, it makes me sad.

User Tag List