Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Khaki pants for carry

Khaki pants for carry

I am about to start my first real job as a golf professional. That means my daily dress is a tucked in polo/golf shirt and nice slacks. I purchased a JMCK tuckable AIWB for my Smith Shield. It works with my current dress pants, but it's hard for me to carry all the stuff I want. I do have a Raven moduloader pocket shield for holding my knife, flashlight, and spare magazine, but my Blue Force Gear magazine carrier tends to not let me get the magazine out without ripping out the entire rig. I do have a pair of 5.11 dress pants (1.0) that I like. The pockets are relatively deep and well supported. Plus the extra pockets on the legs can offer extra carry room. Only issue is the thickness. My golf shop does not have A/C so on hot days the thicker material pants aren't ideal.

I'm considering picking up a pair of 5.11 covert khaki 2.0 pants because of all the extra pockets. Again the downside is the thickness. I'm wondering if any of you have recommendations for pants that look like dress pants, but also have plenty of pocket space and aren't too thick material wise. I realize I may be asking for a lot, but I figure I might as well try.

I'm a big fan of Vertx pants for less of a 'tactical" look.
    #RESIST

Mountain Khakis. I discovered the brand last year and have now bought two pairs of khakis in each weight, three pairs of the jeans, and two pairs of the shorts (with more of the shorts to come as it gets warmer again). The extra pocket on the right-side seam is great for carrying a clip-on knife with the clip concealed in the outer pocket so as to be less obvious when interacting with other grownups. The gusseted crotch makes them less-constricting without looking obvious. And I've never ironed mine, just take them out of the dryer and hang them up.

Buy the broadway fit in a slightly larger-than-measured waist size to allow room for IWB gear but not make you look like you've shat yourself.

4.65 oz material

8.5 oz material

10.4 oz material

you can see the pocket here, no idea why the guy in the picture doesn't have the knife in it.

another shot of the pocket. It does not flare out like this in normal wear on mine.

Site Supporter
    +1 for MK's
    I also have some prANa's (bronson) that I like a lot.
    http://www.prana.com/men/clothing/pants.html
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I note that the MKs are much cheaper on Amazon. I will pick up a pair and report back after I find some new shirts to replace the ones my sights wore holes in (AIWB guys know what I'm talking about!).
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 02-09-2015 at 12:05 PM. Reason: fixed amazon link
    #RESIST

How outta place would you look wearing non-golf pants to a golf job? What's the norm there?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I have two problems with MKs:

- I had to transplant the right front belt loop laterally to allow AIWB. This of course may vary from person to person, and JMCK split loop may help. In fairness, most of my khakis and cargos had to to have the same mod.

- I found a hole in my right front pocket last week. I occasionally carry an M-waved Emerson so it may be because of this, but it has never happened to my other pants that I wear with the same frequency as MKs.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    How outta place would you look wearing non-golf pants to a golf job? What's the norm there?
    Pretty much any dress pants would look normal. Being 22 years old I wouldn't look too out of the norm wearing more casual style dress pants. Still I want to have a good look. I never know who may come to my golf course that may help me get a job later on some place I'd like. Having cargo style "tactical" pants would be pretty out of the norm. It's also worth noting the course I'm at isn't a high class facility. One of the owners who works behind the counter typically wears a t-shirt and shorts, which is a bit out of the norm for most golf facilities, but this one is a little different. Granted being a professional, that style of dress is not one I would sport.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'm a big fan of Vertx pants for less of a 'tactical" look.
    I have been very pleasantly surprised with some Vertx pants I picked up for work. I thought they would be too tacticool, but even with cargo pockets, they are pretty nondescript. The fit seems to be hit or miss for many folks but the sizing is right on the money for me. If you look around you can find great deals – picked up a pair from Dvor for like $20 shipped!

I like MK but have had issues with durability as I've noted here. Also I get the flaring pocket issue with both the broadway and regular cuts.

Patagonia makes great stuff that lasts forever. I say that as I'm looking at my 15+ year old made in the USS fleece that has been worn and washed thousands of time with no holes and minor wear. They have some very solid options for khaki-type pants.

The MKs are very appealing to me. Even if the extra pocket on the right sticks out they still don't have a "tactical" look and wouldn't be too out of the norm.

User Tag List