Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: How many rounds is enough?

Generally staying in a hot, southwest metropolis.
    Original Question: 12 + 1 and a 17rnd reload is standard.

Dream: Need to pull the trigger, no way around it, pull pull pull pull and the trigger never breaks. It's the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    magazines are one of the most likely components to fail in a firearm.
    Not in my experience.
    I've never had a H&K mag failure in hundreds of thousands of rounds.
    I do zero mag maintenance as well.
    Even my very old, purchased used, beat to crap used LEO P2000 mags function perfectly with just the occasional failure to lock open on empty.

1911 or 2011... yea you might have a point.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Not in my experience.
    Even my very old, purchased used, beat to crap used LEO P2000 mags function perfectly with just the occasional failure to lock open on empty.

Did any other part of that gun fail?
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Not in my experience.

I think its true for most guns. No problems with my standard P2000 mags, either. Besides the excellent body construction, I think theres a reason HK makes their follower tabs extra long compared to competitors, resulting in a -2 cartridge "deficiency".
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    H&K pistol magazines are exceptional in their reliability, at least in my experience. Factory Beretta 92 magazines with the old aluminum followers come a close second.

1911 magazines...well...not so much.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Did any other part of that gun fail?
    Multiple guns.
    I broke one trigger return spring on a P2000 back before I knew you have to change them out.

I can remember seeing one P2000 magazine that failed and it was dented and full of sand. The BP guy said it'd been his second spare mag for 5 years and he'd never even pulled it out of the carrier until he needed it on the stage I was RO'ing.
    He plans on taking better care of his belt gear going forward...

Me, I buy a new mag every 6 months and after function testing it's my carry mag until I buy my next new mag then it goes into the training mag box.
    Last edited by JodyH; 03-04-2015 at 09:01 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Site Supporter
    I've seen a lot of HK USP compact/P 2000 magazines over the last 15 years. I've only seen to fail and both of those were coming apart at the weld on the back of the magazine. Both of these magazines had been in service for 10 years or more and both had been repeatedly dropped onto concrete. It's a successful design. P30/VP 9 magazines are just a longer version of the USPC/P2000 mag.

As Bill Riehl said, HK is essentially a magazine company and it shows. I believe they have the best Mags going. I am good with giving up a couple rounds to increase reliability and service life. If the Mag fails, it's capacity is zero for practical purposes regardless of how many rounds are left in it.

Site Supporter
    Multiple guns.
    I broke one trigger return spring on a P2000 back before I knew you have to change them out.

I can remember seeing one P2000 magazine that failed and it was dented and full of sand. The BP guy said it'd been his second spare mag for 5 years and he'd never even pulled it out of the carrier until he needed it on the stage I was RO'ing.
    He plans on taking better care of his belt gear going forward...

Me, I buy a new mag every 6 months and after function testing it's my carry mag until I buy my next new mag then it goes into the training mag box.
    You realize, by buying a new mag every six months for carry (and then testing); we're kind of on the same page as far as magazine reliability. That in a round about way, your current behaviors pay credence to the idea of magazines being more failure prone and the necessity of replacing them.

If you number your magazines; this goes even further down the rabbit hole. At least that's what most trainers recommend.

I buy new mags because I like to have a lot of mags preloaded for training classes and it spreads out the expense. I don't find it a necessity to replace them.

I don't number my mags, I just toss them if they cause problems. Only had to do that with 1911 and AR mags.

Site Supporter
    I buy new mags because I like to have a lot of mags preloaded for training classes and it spreads out the expense. I don't find it a necessity to replace them.

I don't number my mags, I just toss them if they cause problems. Only had to do that with 1911 and AR mags.
    I think it's best and the simplest solution is we realize we just disagree and let it go at this point.

User Tag List