Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank Proctor Y Sights

I recently purchased a set of these for my Glock 34, to try a different sight from the existing 10-8 performance set.
    The 10-8's had a suggested .156 rear, which worked really well, but was wide in the rear. I used a green fiber optic with the 10-8's as opposed to the standard red, as my eyes picked it up better than red.
    The installation was standard Glock, with a minimal amount of fitting required to the dovetail on the sight...actually, just a few passes to both surfaces with a diamond triangle file did the trick. Front install was pure Glock.
    Initial impressions at the range were good;
    there was a whole lot less air between the front and rear sights in the sight picture. My feeble brain wanted to drop the front into the "Y", but after about 1 1/2 mags, I figured out that the sight picture is the same as any sight....even posts.
    At 7 yards on 3x5 cards, one hole drills were even easier than with the 10-8. Controlled pairs on plates at 15 were where ever I wanted them to go.
    I still found that for my eyes, a red fiber just doesn't work. I have swapped out to a green FO, thanks to Doublestack45, and I can see the front sight just as I have with the 10-8's.
    I feel I still have many hours of drills to go with them to get as comfortable as with the 10-8's, but I think it is a more 'precise' sight picture.

I put the 10-8 setup on the Glock 19, my carry gun, where they are working just fine.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

So I have shot around 650 rounds since putting the proctor on my glock 19 and I really like them. My shooting performance as a whole has increased but where these sights really shine for me is distance. I think the tighter sight picture just works for my eyes and I am dead on out to 50 on a reduced ipsc steel target.

I wonder how useful these would be on a 26..

Fyi, the latest WOTG newsletter mentioned the Y sights are now available for the M&P 9/40, and the rear Glock sight is now available separately.

Just put a set on my gen3 glock 17, I had ameriglo hacks, I will report back to how they do when I shoot an IDPA match this Saturday.

These sights for me seemed more accurate, I was able to get good hits, (down 0) much easier and faster than with the hacks. For the close targets I lost no speed acquiring the front sight. For me they seem to work well. Now to save up for a set for my 19.

I hate to dredge up an older thread...

I have 2 identical 4th gen 19's, one has a set of the defoor sights and the other has the y notch sights.

I have run a few drills (dot torture, trigger stripe, FAST) and noticed that the proctor's are much easier to see. The rear notch on the defoor's is .150 I believe with a .125 front sight. The proctor is absolutely a POA-POI, just curious as to what others longer term results have been with the sights. This is my first set of F/O sights on any handgun, I've always used a mix of warren tactical/sevigny sights and the Y-notch is much easier for my eyes to pick up at speed from the holster and I did much better on the dot torture drill with them. I guess my real question is what are folks using the lower portion of the notch for if anything, and why not make the entire sight the width of the top of the Y if that is what you're supposed to use to line up your shot?

I am trying to make sure that I'm not misunderstanding anything...

Joe
    Last edited by Larry Sellers; 02-21-2016 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jca1386 View Post
    I guess my real question is what are folks using the lower portion of the notch for if anything, and why not make the entire sight the width of the top of the Y if that is what you're supposed to use to line up your shot?

I am trying to make sure that I'm not misunderstanding anything...
    The wide Y portion gives you more wiggle room to find and/or track the front sight, and for less precision shooting. For real precision shots you use the smaller light bars in the tight bottom notch portion to center your front sight. So the sights give you the benefit of both a wide rear notch for speed and a narrow notch for precision. I have a set on a 34, I think the sight picture in the .100 portion of the rear would be too tight for a shorter sight radius of a 19 for me, but that's totally user preference.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    The wide Y portion gives you more wiggle room to find and/or track the front sight, and for less precision shooting. For real precision shots you use the smaller light bars in the tight bottom notch portion to center your front sight. So the sights give you the benefit of both a wide rear notch for speed and a narrow notch for precision. I have a set on a 34, I think the sight picture in the .100 portion of the rear would be too tight for a shorter sight radius of a 19 for me, but that's totally user preference.
    Pretty much this. I've never used them personally, but Frank has a YT vid out there explaining the use and reasoning behind the sights. The top part of the notch is for faster and up close shooting. The tighter, bottom part, of the notch is for longer distance precision shooting. The idea is that if you're taking a 25 yd and out shot, you drop the front blade to match the lower part of the rear notch, continue to drive the dot, and shoot with the tighter light bars at distance.

I like the concept, but I ultimately don't think they're for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Okay, If my feeble mind is tracking it really does not matter where i put the front sight in the notch or lower portion as long as it's centered with equal light etc etc, my shots should impact the same spots up close or at distance. I was concerned that after a certain distance I'd have to change my whole sight picture and that was entirely too much work for me to process.

Thanks

Joe

User Tag List