Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gonna buy some proears, anything better?

TCI DEHP with gel seals. Sordin hardware, TCI electronics/software and upgradable for comms if that's a necessity, believe they're part of Safariland now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Sordins will be here Monday.
    Did you get them? I ordered a set after reading this; they arrived today.

Read through the brief instructions, popped the gel pad off to install batteries, and… surprise. No battery holder. There is a sealed, light gray plastic thing that looks to be the right size for a two AAA cell magazine, but it is sealed and secured into the ear cup. WTF???

The drawing shows a "normal" battery holder. And according to the packaging, I have the plain vanilla version that the drawing shows.

This is just about right. I have a half-dozen non-functioning or semi-functioning electronic ear muffs in my junk box. Two of them are those miserable Peltor Sport 6; they last about six months then one or both sides just quits working. The Howard Leights worked well enough (until I stupidly let a colleague borrow them, he went hog hunting in the rain, and now they have a short), but they don't fit my head/ears. The ProEars 2000 uses oddball (N) batteries, and gets MAYBE 12 hours of use per set. Ditto the Caldwells I bought for my wife; they still work, but they eat batteries. The Dillons have decent battery life, and still work… but the adjusting wires in the headband have lost friction in the plastic sleeves, therefore the head band won't stay adjusted and gets uncomfortable after just a few minutes. No warranty to speak of on electronic stuff from Dillon.

So you could say I've had less than good luck with electronic ear protection. I had about given up; the top-of-the-line ProEars are huge, so I've never been interested in them. Then I saw this thread, and remembered thinking about the Sordins sometime back, but being put off by the price. So I decided, FIDO, let's do it. What's three hundred-plus bucks to a serious pistolero?

The vendor I bought them from, CSUK, is apparently a Brit firm in Florida. At least, the guy on the voice mail is a Brit. They're closed now, of course, so I gotta wait until tomorrow. And a quick search revealed nada, zippo, on any kind of customer service contact info for Sordin. Not too encouraged by that; something tells me this isn't going to end well.

Yeah, yeah, I know… I'll quit whining. But I've got a mega case of the red-ass right about now.

Site Supporter
    Is this helpful?

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Did you get them? I ordered a set after reading this; they arrived today.

Read through the brief instructions, popped the gel pad off to install batteries, and… surprise. No battery holder. There is a sealed, light gray plastic thing that looks to be the right size for a two AAA cell magazine, but it is sealed and secured into the ear cup. WTF???
    Uh, unless you got something different than what I have, you're doing it wrong.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by t1tan View Post
    TCI DEHP with gel seals. Sordin hardware, TCI electronics/software and upgradable for comms if that's a necessity, believe they're part of Safariland now.
    Just found my next pair of ears, thanks dude.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Does it compress the noise like the proears? So while the shooting is going on you can still have a conversation? There seems to be alotmof models on the sordins.. Which is the absolute best?
    I've owned and used Pro Ears and Sordins both for years. Sordin > Pro Ears, easily.

Vickers recently posted this to his Facebook page, if someone is looking for a 3rd option.

"I've been using these Peltor Comtac 1 ear pro for years - my hands down favorite electronic ear protection. If there is anything better I don't know what it is". Someone asked about Sordins" "I had some bad experiences with Sordins" and later said the battery contacts were the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Is this helpful?

Indeed it is. I thought of that, but the knurled knob just spins; I thought it was accomplishing some other function, but apparently the threads are stuck. I'll try to unstick them.

Thank you. Would have been nice to have an updated manual...

Needed to tighten that locknut.

All seems well now. Thanks again, Erik.

Quote Originally Posted by t1tan View Post
    I've seen those, but can't figure out what they offer over standard Sordins.

User Tag List