Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Critical Spare parts kit for Glocks

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    If you break a slide lock spring, you might lose the slide lock too. I would have both on hand.

A slide release isn't a bad idea.

I don't carry mag parts because I have a ton of mags.
    I have a slide release (I have edited above post with correct name)

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    I keep everything but a slide/barrel/receiver. All springs would be a good start and all most will ever need.
    Same here and they are cheap and easy to get.

My two essentials Glock spares -- this kit and an extra Glock:

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

"Keep on hand" in the sense of having with you whenever you shoot?

Definitely the slide lock spring. If that breaks, the slide may fall off or fly off, and they DO rarely break or lose tension. (I've had one lose tension on a G21 and one actually break on a 9mm, a G26 IIRC.)

If the trigger spring breaks, the gun still functions, but it's easy to carry spares.

Never heard of any Glock recoil springs, striker springs, extractor depressor plunger springs or slide release springs breaking. Since the recoil, extractor and striker springs operate in compression, it would be quite unusual for any of those to break.

Standard trigger springs and locking blocks do break, apparently, though I've never had it happen personally, in any caliber. (I own 9mm and 45ACP Glocks, and used to have .40 S&Ws too, but got rid of them.)

I've had two complete sets of G19 parts (everything but frame, slide and barrel) plus numerous "extras" like slide lock and trigger springs (standard, NY1 and NY2), the various pins, and much other stuff, since 1999, as well as multiple other spare parts for G21, G30, G36 and G26 models, and have never needed ANY of 'em except for a couple slide lock springs.

I do change recoil springs, standard trigger springs and striker springs as well as magazine springs at regular intervals, with Wolff items, just "to be sure", but it's probably an over-abundance of caution on my part. (I did definitely have some Glock OEM G23 magazine springs poop out completely once upon a time, though, so that the gun wouldn't feed a single round.)
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

I will likely have it all with me, its primary purpose is to keep the gun running. I shoot a few Glock shoots a year so the gun will be gone through a couple times by them as well.

You could, honestly, carry every replacement part in an Altoid can... So, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    If you break a slide lock spring, you might lose the slide lock too. I would have both on hand.

A slide release isn't a bad idea.

I don't carry mag parts because I have a ton of mags.

This^^, plenty of spare mags. They can wear, get lost or damaged.

I carry one of each spare part to the range, conveniently packed inside a slide and frame.

My Glock parts/sight tools/trigger pull gauge/targets/ammunition/ are in my vehicle daily. Being retired I often work on Glocks for others on short notice which is sometimes done on the tailgate of my truck and I am always prepared for a range trip.

Critical Spare parts kit for Glocks

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I carry one of each spare part to the range, conveniently packed inside a slide and frame.
    I know it's snarky but this is what I was thinking.

Eta: if a part can break and stop the gun from working, it is by definition a critical spare. To that end I would think everything short of the barrel, frame, and slide would be a critical spare. At that point a spare gun would prevent having to wrench at the range, along with being easy to store and keep organized. Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone, I apologize in advance for typos.

"Gustatus similis pullus"

User Tag List