Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Spyderco flatground: Delica4 or Endura4?

New Spyderco flatground: Delica4 or Endura4?

Wanting a new Spyderco for everyday use. Can't decide on the new Delica4 or Endura4. Any input would be appreciated.
    "Gettin' everybody to love me is a full time job..." - Kenny Powers

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    Wanting a new Spyderco for everyday use. Can't decide on the new Delica4 or Endura4. Any input would be appreciated.
    Delica 4 will get any every day task done just fine. Endure 4 is perhaps a better defensive blade because of the reach. I went with a delict because i live in a crappy city of Philadelphia where there is an official ban on carrying any knife or knife like object... However, the law is not really enforced as long as the knife appears to be utilitarian. Thus i went with the smaller Delica 4, and frankly it does everything i need it to do. Both of the knives are great knives, laws aside, you really can't go wrong.

You should look up the knife laws of your neighboring cities/states as some have restrictions on knife blade length that will make carrying a Delica 4 a crime. Who would have thought that i'm licensed to carry a firearm--but a pocket knife is a crime.

I have both (along with a number of other Spyderco knives - as well as other brands) I think the questions is what do you want to do it with it. Are you using it for an edc role or for a folding tactical/self defense role?

For EDC - the delica is much prefered because it is smaller and much easier to maneuver in cutting tasks. The jimping/thumb ramp is also much better on it it. If you want a longer blade for self defense work, obviously the endura over the delica - that being said, the extra length and heft of the blade makes it a slower deploying knife.

I've carried a Spyderco Stretch for about 5 years now and I think it is an overall better knife than the two mentioned above for only slightly more $$$ - same length as the endura, faster than both the delica and the endura - thumb ramp is equivalent to the delica - just wish it had the sharper jimping of the delica. A spyderco paramilitary 2 is also a great option.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Personally I found the Endura worked well for me an an everyday blade BUT:

A) I do a lot of aerial work with ropes and cables and I need a fairly heavy tool compared to most people

B) I can palm basketballs and my hands are thick and square.

I think if I wore gloves designed for humans, or I had more typical knife tasks, I'd be interested in the delica.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Blade length isn't and issue and I'm looking for a utility knife.
    "Gettin' everybody to love me is a full time job..." - Kenny Powers

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I have both (along with a number of other Spyderco knives - as well as other brands) I think the questions is what do you want to do it with it. Are you using it for an edc role or for a folding tactical/self defense role?

For EDC - the delica is much prefered because it is smaller and much easier to maneuver in cutting tasks. The jimping/thumb ramp is also much better on it it. If you want a longer blade for self defense work, obviously the endura over the delica - that being said, the extra length and heft of the blade makes it a slower deploying knife.

I've carried a Spyderco Stretch for about 5 years now and I think it is an overall better knife than the two mentioned above for only slightly more $$$ - same length as the endura, faster than both the delica and the endura - thumb ramp is equivalent to the delica - just wish it had the sharper jimping of the delica. A spyderco paramilitary 2 is also a great option.
    This is very hand size dependent. I have trouble opening the Delica sized knives with a quickness due to the knife being too small, the Endura is just right for me.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    I've got more Delicas and Enduras sitting around than I can count at this point. They're amazing knives for everyday use while still being affordable enough to lose (relatively speaking).

I've never run into a task that a Delica couldn't handle, but an Endura could. With that said, I don't work with my hands for a living, and I'm not a big guy. I usually wear size Large gloves (sometimes Medium depending on the company/cut) and definitely cannot palm a basketball.

I carried an Endura for many years before getting my first Delica. Once I did, I don't think I ever went back to carrying an Endura. Now I just keep them in handy places around the house/car/whatever.

I suppose it's just icing on the cake that a Delica is legal/acceptable in far more places than an Endura.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Site Supporter
    I like the endura personally, but mine isn't flat ground. Still an amazing knife. But it's beat up enough that the ol zip tie "wave" doesn't look real tacky. But I'd get a delica in a heartbeat if the price was right. I don't buy knives out of consideration for their use as a fighting implement. Utility comes first, then martial uses. Of course, I've never taken formal training in martial use of a knife, thus my priorities. I need to get my butt to TDI, or EWO or something.

One nice thing about the Delica is that the handle is a little longer than most knives with similar blade length. It makes it easier to manipulate IMO, without adding much size.
    I only recently acquired my first one for some reason. It's a FFG blade and is one slicing SOB.

From an Emerson wave model standpoint I strongly prefer the Delica. (Or better yet the P'kal)

From a Flat ground perspective, I think both knives are great and either work pretty well for me (I tend to favor the Delica a bit). I wear XL gloves and don't have an issue with either. Endura is simply "more of a good thing."

Availability of trainers is a big plus with these knives.

I also bought the Byrd versions of the Delica and Endura for checked luggage when I'm flying on business trips.

Overall, if length isn't an issue... in your case I'd go Endura.

User Tag List