Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New Spyderco flatground: Delica4 or Endura4?

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    LSP972 and others were buying Spyderco stock at one point until I changed to the Delica.
    LOL; that's a FACT!

Interesting discussion here. I'm with the crew that basically says: "I carry a knife to cut things with, not to fight with. I carry guns to fight with."

Now, I am not discounting all the excellent skills/techniques that some of you have (or think you have), or the cool little fixed blades carried at/near body center, etc. However, to me its like annual training. Every year, during almost 30 years as a cop, I was given some pretty thorough defensive tactics instruction/practice/exercises. Yet, every time I had to go hands-on with a suspect, I completely neglected to use any of that stuff and fought like I fought in high school… because, of course, I didn't practice the DT stuff after doing it at in-service. Not saying that was right, but it was REAL. Wait; I have used a couple of the wrist-locks they showed us, prior to cuffing. I know all of that stuff works… but you GOT to practice it continually.

OTOH, I practice with my guns; presenting them, shooting them, reloading them, etc.; weekly, if I can find the time, but monthly at the very least. I have no aversion to using a knife if I must; but it is simply not a priority for me.

That said, I'm semi-prepared. Ever since first hitting the road as a trooper, I have carried an old SAK for normal cutting chores and the few tools it offers, and a larger folder for tough cutting tasks and last-ditch defensive use. On the latter, I have run the gamut from a Buck 110 (carried in a .45 magazine pouch on the Sam Browne duty belt), a plain-vanilla Endura, to a by-God genuine Emerson CQC6.

I really like the Spyderco Tenacious, but its G10 scales really eat up my trousers badly at the knife's corners. My old serrated Endura with a Black T'ed blade has been that EDC larger folder for a very long time now.

Times change; age tends to alter one's perspective. I find myself using the SAK less and less, because I'm generally around other, better tools when I need one, now that my lifestyle has become more sedentary. I have been thinking about shelving the SAK and getting a smaller folder for EDC.

The Delica seems to fit that bill perfectly. I too like the Kahr special edition. But if my inner circle caught me carrying an HK pistol and a Kahr knife… well, it would get ugly…

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Built with liner lock
    I'd rather it be Spyderco's compression lock.

Come to think of it, except for the 'wave' feature, we are all pretty much describing Spyderco's Paramilitary.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I don't need one and probably won't use it. That's reason enough to get one or two. In.
    Yup, me too.

Well broke down and ordered a Delica. I'll pick up an Endura later.
    "Gettin' everybody to love me is a full time job..." - Kenny Powers

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    I'm in! Wave opener Manix2 FFG (i love the leaf shaped blade) with CTS204P stainless for the blade steel (s90v being a close second, Bohler M390 third). Grippy G10 scales.
    I'd be in for a FFG Manix 2 Wave.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I'd rather it be Spyderco's compression lock.

Come to think of it, except for the 'wave' feature, we are all pretty much describing Spyderco's Paramilitary.
    I'd be in for a sprint run Paramilitary as well.
    Come to think of it, I'd be in for just about of any sprint run Spyderco.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I need someone to build a Spyderco with a wave, Delica sized blade and Endura sized handle. Would be my legal damn near everywhere pocket utility and BUST knife.

Get on it.
    I got the Lonewolf version of the waved Endura with a Glock punch. Nice knife, but the handle is actually too long for me....I'm holding it too far back when deploying the blade via the wave.

For me, I like the Native the best. A Native with the wave feature.........I would stock up and look no further.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    Well broke down and ordered a Delica. I'll pick up an Endura later.
    You won't be sorry or disappointed.

A few years back when I was looking at both, I went with the Endura 4 FFG. I'm used to the 3.5" folders. Initial impression was "Wow, that is big". But since the handle is so thin, it really doesn't matter. Folded, the handle isn't longer than my pocket, so no issues. I now carry it p'kal style with the zip tie mod.

I've since played with Delicas. They seem small. I don't really see a purpose for them for me personally, as I don't really carry a knife for utility anymore.

I have to say that a folder with a 2.5 inch blade, wave, and grip optimized for forward grip edge up would make a neat little deep cover tool for the support hand front pocket in jurisdictions that don't allow concealed fixed blades.

User Tag List