Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shoulders, or perhaps the dumbest question I've asked to date...

When the weather gets to where I can do some shooting again, I'm just gonna have to experiment with this, that's the only way I'm ever gonna be able to really iron it out in my mind, but...

I don't really get the bench pressing analogy. Back when I used to bench, my hands were wider than shoulder width apart, not clasped together in front of my face. What I've noticed, in experimenting with it dry is that it puts more bend in my elbows, but I do not shoot with my elbows locked out, so again, I'm not sure it's gonna make much difference. During the draw stroke, the motion feels very "compact" for lack of a better term, but also very tense and "stiff."

Again though, I will work some stuff (thinking 7 yard Bill Drills and Ken H's The Test) and just see what really happens when the bullets fly.

ETA: Back when I used to lift, the guy I lifted with was a competitive powerlifter. That was almost 20 years ago when we were in High school. He needed a lifting partner, I liked to lift, so we hit the gym together. We were quite the odd couple really. I was taller, longer armed and longer legged. He could just kill me bench pressing. Really, almost any pushing motion, he'd come out ahead. Pulling motions on the other hand, like rows and deadlifts, I was noticeably better. So we pushed each other, because his strengths were my weaknesses and vice versa. He told me once it made him better in competitions. He always tried to get me to go to a real competitive lifting match, but I wouldn't go because my bench press just sucked. He always swore my deadlift would have made up for it though. Looking back, I really wish I'd gone with him, but I was just too shy as a teenager to put myself on the line like that. Sorry for the trip down memory lane, just got me to thinking.
    Last edited by Jared; 02-16-2015 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Talionis View Post
    Rather than hunching the shoulders forward with the elbows pointing down, pull them back and rotate the elbows out. This also seems to activate the pecs well and applies solid pinching force from both sides on the grips of the handgun.
    this is exactly what I am trying to do

pictures here:

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/...ve-sevigny-2-2
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List