Thread: Are pistol sights shorter in height more accurate?

Are pistol sights shorter in height more accurate?

I was just curious if there was any change in accuracy by having a sights that closer to the barrel/slide vs taller sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasage View Post
    I was just curious if there was any change in accuracy by having a sights that closer to the barrel/slide vs taller sights.
    Mechanical accuracy? No.

Shooter's ability to achieve accuracy? Harder to gauge. Everyone interacts with the sights slightly differently, eyes and vision are all different. I've had guns that would hit spot on for me hit 2 inches high for other shooters, because of the way we look at the sights. So maybe taller, suppressor style sights work better for someone.

Nope. They are still a fixed linear reference anywhere you put them.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Mechanical accuracy? No.

Shooter's ability to achieve accuracy? Harder to gauge. Everyone interacts with the sights slightly differently, eyes and vision are all different. I've had guns that would hit spot on for me hit 2 inches high for other shooters, because of the way we look at the sights. So maybe taller, suppressor style sights work better for someone.
    Worthy of another thread I've noted slide profile to influence my speed and/or felt speed at times.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I think it depends on the individual, not the sights. For ME, I'm more accurate with Ameriglo Operators (low) than Heinie Slant Pros on my Glocks. The reason relates to my pushing 60 vision. With the taller sights, with taller notches, I tend to have more vertical error because it's harder to distinguish alignment across the top. With the Ameriglo's, if the front sight dot is fully visible in the rear notch, it's aligned. As a results, I've yanked the Heinie's off of a G34, 17 & 19 and gone to Ameriglo Operators on my carry Glocks.

I was thinking the same. That shorter sights, for me, would reduce the vertical variable.

User Tag List