Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Is DA/SA Obsolete (In Terms of Sales)?

Considering quality, shoot-ability and price, the Beretta 92 is a category leader for DA/SA, and has been a long time.

By the way, the correct spelling is Billretta, and it is pronounced Bill-reta.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Beretta has maintained a somewhat sane pricing model for the metal framed 92s.
    It will be interesting to see whether they can maintain this level of sanity if the lose the US government as their biggest customer.

Okie John

Site Supporter
    Too bad it's not a smaller gun.

Site Supporter
    You could get an Egyptian precursor based on the Italian model. Anyway - the whole idea was to counter light pull and folks with their finger on the trigger. Now we have moved to lighter pulls and no safeties that need to be manipulated before fire. Has the accident rate between various models shown that we need the more complex manual of arms? The variable seems to be training. The human factors lit says that even the DA trigger can get pulled in a startle if you have trigger finger follies.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    You could get an Egyptian precursor based on the Italian model. Anyway - the whole idea was to counter light pull and folks with their finger on the trigger. Now we have moved to lighter pulls and no safeties that need to be manipulated before fire. Has the accident rate between various models shown that we need the more complex manual of arms? The variable seems to be training. The human factors lit says that even the DA trigger can get pulled in a startle if you have trigger finger follies.
    Correct me if I'm wrong-and I likely am on the specifics-but wasn't the reason for DA/SA because back 'in the day' semiautos were single action only and thus carried empty chamber/loaded chamber with a lowered hammer?

A DA /SA pistol permitted a ready to fire option equivalent to revolvers of the time, without fumbling with the slide or hammer beforehand.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    PS: my definition of a "serious shooter," is one who can manage the DA/SA transition, and enjoys DA/SA pistols.
    This makes me smile.
    Participation does not equal Proficiency
    - Mike Pannone

Site Supporter
    CZ seems to be very popular among USPSA shooters...but then they typically set their guns up with a DA trigger that is about what an unmodified Glock has. I don't think they are going anywhere. But if I see a Beretta, CZ, or Sig P series in the used case going for what a Model 64 or a 3rd gen smith used to go for, I shall not hesitate.

I'm a Glock shooter usually. The DA/SA thing was never a problem for me, I just have too much invested in Glock.

Site Supporter
    I would say in terms of sales and new development; yes.

DA/SA's also aren't featured many places besides the military.

Inferior? I don't think so, but you asked about trends.

I do think movies have something to do with this (See the S&W .44 Magnum in the 60's and 70's for reference).

Site Supporter
    Correct me if I'm wrong-and I likely am on the specifics-but wasn't the reason for DA/SA because back 'in the day' semiautos were single action only and thus carried empty chamber/loaded chamber with a lowered hammer?
    That's because folks feared the good ol' finger ND. There are all kinds of carry modes recommended to avoid a simple pull on a lighter trigger. Safeties, unchambered rounds, heavier pulls - all solutions to the finger! Don't forgot half-cocked 1911s in the mix.

I've seen it claimed that the DA/SA guns actually lead to NDs as after the first heavy pull and if another shot isn't needed - then the shooter rests the finger on the lighter SA trigger and ND's.

So in the focus of the problem trigger discipline and is a two level pull with arguments against continuity a solution?

Waiting for DA/SA phasers.

Also, some firearms instructors that I've taken classes from or have seen in interviews/social media recommend against DA/SA guns or use and recommend striker fired guns. This may also influence a small segment of the market.

For example:

Paul Howe's Feb 2015 newsletter (I've also heard his thoughts on triggers and DA/SA first hand):
    My first thought is to choose a pistol with the three following features:
    Grip that fits your hand
    Same Trigger pull with each shot
    Caliber you can manage

Kyle Defoor Trigger Time TV:
    "In 2013, I don't know that we need a pistol with a hammer anymore..."

And social media influence needs to be recognized as a massive influence these days:

Costa's M&P appearances have likely sold a lot of guns to his fans.

Guys like James Yeager get a lot of views and recommend striker fired action pistols. (300,000 views for "All guns should be glocks")

Hickok45 is another good example. He has an incredible amount of views and talks quite a bit about his striker fired preferences. (1.3 million subscribers)
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 02-04-2015 at 12:40 PM.

User Tag List