Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Is DA/SA Obsolete (In Terms of Sales)?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by JV
    I don't know about that, I know a LOT of people (casual shooters) who bought 92s because of Lethal Weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw
    Back in the day, nobody but agencies bought 3rd generation S&Ws, but they have enjoyed a renaissance on the trade-in market. It's funny to see people gushing about them on forums now when 10 years ago you would rarely see a positive mention of them.
    Both these are absolute truth. I'll add to jlw's that, back in the day, a surprisingly high percentage of over-the-counter individual 3rd Gen Smith sales were directly attributable to Miami Vice or Reservoir Dogs.

Novices, new shooters, non gun nuts... sales in this bracket are usually determined by what guns that person knows about, and the guns a person knows about, if they don't read the buff journals and hobbyist mags, are usually what they see on the TV or movie screen.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

The competition range is something of a driver, even though the actual market is smaller.
    USPSA Production and IDPA SSP favor the striker action with consistent and moderately light trigger pull.
    IPSC Production has a minimum first shot pull, so the DA/SA is hanging on there, but "there" is overseas.

My carry is a DA/SA, but I run it as SA, Cocked and Locked. DA/SA Sigs are still very popular as well.
    DA/SA is not done by any means.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    IMO, Sig is pricing themselves out of the DA/SA game with new shooters. $550 for a Glock or $900 for a Sig ....
    This is probably one of the most relevant circumstances. It is real hard to justify the $750+ used price tag to the wife for a used Sig compared to the $425-$450 price tag for a used Glock. The Sig prices go even higher if you get a variant with any 'special' features to it.

IMO, Sig is pricing themselves out of the DA/SA game with new shooters. $550 for a Glock or $900 for a Sig ....
    I think that's more metal frame vs poly frame. The SP2022 is in the Glock price range. I'm sure if S&W were still selling their metal framed TDA guns, they'd cost what their 1911's cost, about $1,000. I'm actually surprised Beretta sells their 92's for what they do.
    GJM wrote,
    I don't think DA/SA guns were ever popular with most shooters. My first Gunsite class, in 1981, ...
    I think it depends on how old you are. Since you were at Gunsite in 1981, you are old enough to remember if somebody was shooting an auto, and it wasn't a 1911, it was probably a TDA gun. I remember they were everywhere. In my small circle, I typically didn't see many striker fired guns until the mid to late 1990's.

The two big knocks on DA/SA guns is the two trigger feels, and of course the slide mounted safety on guns like the Beretta 92FS. One thing that always fascinates me is reading threads on various forums on S&W TDA guns, Ruger P-Series guns, and Beretta 92FS guns. You can't get 10 posts into a Beretta 92FS thread without somebody commenting on how that slide lever is going to get knocked to safe at some time when you don't want it to. On the other hand, the S&W and Ruger threads, on guns that operate exactly the same, the comment practically never comes up. Admittedly, I did most of my S&W TDA shooting before the internet, but I don't recall it ever being a problem for me, and don't remember people complaining about the issue before Glocks became the primary gun for so many people.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I think that's more metal frame vs poly frame.
    Beretta has maintained a somewhat sane pricing model for the metal framed 92s.

The only high quality DA/SA guns available in the ~ $500 range that I'm aware of are the SIG SP2022, various CZ-75 variants, and the Walther P99/P99c, and none of those are exactly well-known among the general public, despite Bond, James Bond having carried the Walther for a few movies. Market share drives production drives availability drives market share. It's a self-fulfilling vicious circle of sorts.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    The only high quality DA/SA guns available in the ~ $500 range that I'm aware of are the SIG SP2022, various CZ-75 variants, and the Walther P99/P99c
    ~$550 for a Beretta 92.

~$550 for a Beretta 92.
    Ok, fair enough, that's the only well-known example in the target price range, then.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Ok, fair enough, that's the only well-known example in the target price range, then.
    In more then a few places, they're $600-$650. M9s seem to be $50 more,give or take.As an aside, I noticed a PT92 Stainless selling for $499 -USED.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List