Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is DA/SA Obsolete (In Terms of Sales)?

Is DA/SA Obsolete (In Terms of Sales)?

In looking at the typical gun selected for "defense" purposes by the masses lately, it seems DA/SA semiautos have fallen out of favor . I've actually seen more revolvers come through the local range then I've seen DA/SA handguns.

I do see the rare Beretta or Sig, but the owners never shoot them DA. Whenever the local conversation comes to defense, Glock and competitors rule topics.

Have you guys observed DA/SA guns passing into history as "range toys only" among the proletariat gun owner?
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Back in the 1900s Gaston Glock built a pistol out of recycled plastic pop bottles, the US military bought Italian 9mms, and coppers were trading in .38 and .357 revolvers at a high rate of speed. Gun writers alternated stories between "Wondernines" and "Is the 1911 .45 dead?" Apparently the 1911 survived. Now that everybody and their dog makes a 1911, Bill Wilson and Ernie Langdon are selling high end Berettas. Hmmm.

"And three people do it, three, can you imagine...They may think it's an Organization."
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    IMO, Sig is pricing themselves out of the DA/SA game with new shooters. $550 for a Glock or $900 for a Sig ....

I don't think DA/SA guns were ever popular with most shooters. My first Gunsite class, in 1981, Col. Cooper mentioned his methods of thumb cocking or firing a first round into the dirt to get to the SA trigger.

If anything, I think there are more enthusiasts that appreciate the DA/SA now. The kind of shooters who previously would have been shooting a 1911. What has changed is there are many more gun owners these days, and the striker is very popular with this group.

PS: my definition of a "serious shooter," is one who can manage the DA/SA transition, and enjoys DA/SA pistols.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I don't think DA/SA guns were ever popular with most shooters.
    I don't know about that, I know a LOT of people (casual shooters) who bought 92s because of Lethal Weapon.

In the past few years I've acquired a few classic DA revolvers. High quality, accurate arms that have been left for newer poly SFAs. Manufacturers are making more and more SFAs. They make them because people buy them.
    Still, I see a lot of Berettas, classic SIGs and CZs in the new gun case.

Back in the day, nobody but agencies bought 3rd generation S&Ws, but they have enjoyed a renaissance on the trade-in market. It's funny to see people gushing about them on forums now when 10 years ago you would rarely see a positive mention of them.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

The one thing about popularity of firearms in the US is...handguns trend and follow military and LE. The main reason TDA guns enjoy anykind of popularity today, is because of the M9 in US Mil and the cross-section of Sigs used by LE and for instance Sigs still remain popular in Texas, because Texas DPS is still carrying them (we'll see for how long this continues). And because of the 3rd gen Smiths previously used by LE (Americans love them some former cop guns).

With the loss of 3rd gen Smiths, HK coming out with the VP9, and Sig looking to essentially replace its TDA market share with the 320, all we need is for Beretta to come out with a striker gun and the TDAs will be in that corner of the case with DA revolvers holding more than five rounds with barrels longer than 3" (snubs are still good business). If you note - with the loss of 3rd Gen Smiths and the Ruger P-series, there are virtually no (are there any? I am pre-coffee this morning) TDA guns built by entirely US based and founded companies. USA TDAs have always been rare, TDAs are largely a European affair and once Glock got a stranglehold on LE and some MIL it was lights out.

In terms of sales. When I was selling guns now nearly a decade ago, it was 10:1 striker to anything else in the handgun realm.

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    all we need is for Beretta to come out with a striker gun
    -Rob
    They have one in development.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I think that this is a good and thoughtful question, and I tend to agree--DA/SA autos are becoming less popular and striker-fired autos have become the norm. I also think that makes sense for new and casual shooters--learn to hit the target before trying to master two different trigger pulls. However, I expect the DA/SA will continue to have a strong niche following because of the sheer quality of some of the DA/SA guns.

User Tag List