Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Is DA/SA Obsolete (In Terms of Sales)?

Anecdotally, but I've seen people in weekend classes across the last 13 years, and in 2001, it was Glocks, 1911s and a decent set of DA/SA. Today I see all 9mm striker fired guns in a class, and maybe one 1911.

But that could be a "class equipment" thing, like the way people might actually carry leather IWB at 4:00, but since that's a drag in a class where you have to reholster 100 times, they carry kydex OWB at 3:00 in classes. Likewise, not having to deal with the decocker all weekend might be appealing?

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    My youngest son is currently stationed on a carrier out of Norfolk. He's told me the gunshops around there are full of 92's in the $300-$350 range. Apparently, sailors and marines buy them at the base exchange, then unload them out on town when they're short on beer and stripper money. Seems like there's a Beretta glut around there.
    Oh really ???

Looks like I might need to make a trip down to south, "to visit the folks"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I've seen more improper clearing cause DA/SA accidents than failing to decock. Failing to decock NDs do happen though. I've was working the line on a 3 day SIG transition course where a student holster a cocked 226 in the last hour of the last day and put a round through the top of his foot. The thumb snap of a Safariland 200 Top Gun holster tripped the trigger.
    Wouldn't the same thing have happened with a striker-fired pistol with no safety (e.g. Glock)?

I know this is an OLD thread, but interesting discussion since there has been a DA/SA "renaissance". I've often heard this argument that forgetting to de-cock a DA/SA will leave you with a very light SA pull that is less forgiving to accidents. Aren't most SFA trigger pulls ~5 lbs these days, and don't most of them tout "smooth" pulls with little pre-travel, etc? The standard Sig 226 SA pull is ~4.5 pounds, not much lighter than than of a Glock or other SFA. What am I missing here?
    Last edited by HammerStriker; 11-03-2019 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
    Wouldn't the same thing have happened with a striker-fired pistol with no safety (e.g. Glock)?

I know this is an OLD thread, but interesting discussion since there has been a DA/SA "renaissance". I've often heard this argument that forgetting to de-cock a DA/SA will leave you with a very light SA pull that is less forgiving to accidents. Aren't most SFA trigger pulls ~5 lbs these days, and don't most of them tout "smooth" pulls with little pre-travel, etc? The standard Sig 226 SA pull is ~4.5 pounds, not much lighter than than of a Glock or other SFA. What am I missing here?
    Trigger systems aren’t connected to practical safety of a particular shooter.

However, the cognitive difference of a DA/SA vs a striker IS the need to activate the de cocker post-shooting. Depending on circumstances one might be very occupied once the shooting stops- too occupied to remember the decock step .Way too easy to forget to decock unless the action is drilled into running the gun. It’s one area strikers and DAO/LEM triggers have an advantage. Post incident you just put the gun away.
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 11-03-2019 at 12:27 PM.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Racking the slide then dropping the mag will have the same result no matter what semiauto you are clearing.

For the next part, a cocked 226 or B92 is much easier to fire, IMO, than a Glock. With TDAs you typically have rely little weigh on the take up and then a crisp, light trigger. Regardless, poor handling habits are not safe, regardless of platform. With a TDA, if you train to decock when dismounting the gun and you thumb check the hammer when holstering, IMO, it’s all moot.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Trigger systems aren’t connected to practical safety of a particular shooter.

However, the cognitive difference of a DA/SA vs a striker IS the need to activate the de cocker post-shooting. Depending on circumstances one might be very occupied once the shooting stops- too occupied to remember the decock step .Way too easy to forget to decock unless the action is drilled into running the gun. It’s one area strikers and DAO/LEM triggers have . Post incident you just put the gun away.
    Right, but I'm saying a cocked DA/SA is likely not less forgiving than a striker fired pistol, since most SFA have light trigger pulls anyway. I think that holstering a cocked Sig P226 (forgetting to de-cock), is no different from holstering a Glock. If the holster would have snagged a Glock trigger, it would have been the same result as with what happened with the cocked DA/SA Sig in SA mode. Don't you think the Glock would have fired too?
    Last edited by HammerStriker; 11-03-2019 at 12:32 PM.

Da/SA and the desire to shoot it well totally transformed my shooting and I think every shooter should develop skill with the system.

But.

I’ve moved on. 2011. RMR. Comp.

It’s still hammer fired. Still positive fire system control for aiwb.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Da/SA and the desire to shoot it well totally transformed my shooting and I think every shooter should develop skill with the system.

But.

I’ve moved on. 2011. RMR. Comp.

It’s still hammer fired. Still positive fire system control for aiwb.
    Do you agree that a cocked DA/SA trigger is no more likely to discharge if snagged on a holster than a Glock is?
    Last edited by HammerStriker; 11-03-2019 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Da/SA and the desire to shoot it well totally transformed my shooting and I think every shooter should develop skill with the system...
    Get outta here with that common sense. BRB, gonna go cut the trigger spring on my M9A1 so it’s a 3lb DA pull.

J\k- disclaimer, please don’t do that IRL. Some guber jacked up an M9A1 like this to the point I bought it and sent it to WC for remedial work as an act of moral conscience .Otherwise some poor soul would have walked out with a $459 M9A1 that was a time bomb , thinking it was the deal of the century.....
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Do you agree that a cocked DA/SA trigger is no more likely to discharge if snagged on a holster than a Glock is?
    Trigger pulled is as trigger pulled does...

User Tag List