Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Is DA/SA Obsolete (In Terms of Sales)?

Quote Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
    Agreed, but how many cases are there actually where shooters have an ND after forgetting to de-cock? I don't know the answer and doubt anyone really does, I'm guessing (hoping) its pretty uncommon.
    It is not uncommon. I’ve known several shooters who carried TDA pistols cocked because they didn’t like the DA pull. They would even reholster this way. Well, they tried to until we put a stop to it, but with at least one of them, learning did not occur.

I see it out of forgetfulness often with 1911s, but I have never seen someone willfully reholster an off-safe 1911.

The only “safer” option in regardes to actions is DAO or LEM. I don’t think SFA/TDA/SAO have any humongous safety advantage when proper technique and quality support gear are used. They’re all just different.

You can neither train out, or hardware out the danger, but you can mitigate it to a degree where you are comfortable with the risks involved.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    As much as I’d love to believe a TDA is safer for most people to use, I have to say that a properly maintained Glock with a SCD is probably the best of both worlds. Hard to beat that combo.
    For the average person, I’d say this is the best combination of affordability, safety, and shootability as well.

Too bad Taurus outsells Glock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    If you always do everything properly as trained, you won't ND any trigger.
    Because we are humans it’s guaranteed that none of us will do everything properly every time all of the time. True fact. The safest thing is for all of us to switch back to revolvers with bobbed hammers and a 13lb pull. That should fix everything.

The original question is “DA/SA obsolete in terms of sales?” Not if you are selling to me. I’ve been back on board with TDA pistols for a few years now after a long journey in the SFA world. I’m back to stay. TDA pistols today are not the same as your daddy’s wonder nine from the 80’s. The pistol today has been revolutionized and evolutionized into something very different and far superior by LTT and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote41 View Post

It does? Even if we exclude the USA LE market, I find that difficult to believe. Glock dominates many markets for pistols.

I say that as the owner of a PT92 that's been with my family since 1989. (I shoot it better than a Glock; I shoot it just as well as my px4 with all the bells and whistles, and as well as my friend's P220 with plenty of mods. But I am a DA shooter, and slow.)

ETA: TDA isn't obsolete, it's just a niche market skewed towards Gen X and older. I think it will disappear as we in the niche die.

Unless TDA semiautos blow up like SA revolvers in the 50s did due to pop culture/nostalgia .
    Last edited by Baldanders; 11-05-2019 at 04:46 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Vending Machine Operator
    When I read "Taurus outsells Glock" it just reminds me that Firefly got canceled after one season but American Idol is still on.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    When I read "Taurus outsells Glock" it just reminds me that Firefly got canceled after one season but American Idol is still on.
    Not to go further off topic, but to go further off topic, this was heard from gun store employees. I can believe it because American (Walmart) culture counts price AS value (cheaper is always better). Also think of the marketing that Taurus does to the larger gun owning public. Joe Bob comes in and fondles the VP9/Sig/etc but buys the Taurus because it is cheaper.

It’s very believable. Think of how many PSA and Anderson AR’s are out there compared to Colt, BCM, or FN.

If I were to open a gun store today, I would not carry many, if any, TDA pistols. The only ones I would consider would be higher end ones because if someone wants a TDA pistol today it’s either because they’re a member of this forum or a USPSA competitor. To the general public, the Beretta M9 is that horrible pistol their friend’s cousin’s stepdad was issued and never worked.

Not to go further off topic, but to go further off topic, this was heard from gun store employees. I can believe it because American (Walmart) culture counts price AS value (cheaper is always better). Also think of the marketing that Taurus does to the larger gun owning public. Joe Bob comes in and fondles the VP9/Sig/etc but buys the Taurus because it is cheaper.

It’s very believable. Think of how many PSA and Anderson AR’s are out there compared to Colt, BCM, or FN.

If I were to open a gun store today, I would not carry many, if any, TDA pistols. The only ones I would consider would be higher end ones because if someone wants a TDA pistol today it’s either because they’re a member of this forum or a USPSA competitor. To the general public, the Beretta M9 is that horrible pistol their friend’s cousin’s stepdad was issued and never worked.
    Or IDPA or ASI...

Best, Jon

For the average person, I’d say this is the best combination of affordability, safety, and shootability as well.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    As much as I’d love to believe a TDA is safer for most people to use, I have to say that a properly maintained Glock with a SCD is probably the best of both worlds. Hard to beat that combo.
    My experience is that getting people to shell out for the SCD is much more difficult than it should be. People will drop $500 plus on a Glock, buy a few spare magazines, and then buy the cheapest holster and belt in the store. Adding money for a slide plate without the Punisher or the "Stars and Bars" on it is not going to happen. Trying to convince those people about the value of the SCD is futile. More than once I have heard, "There is no way I will shoot myself when holstering my Glock, so why would I pay $80 for something I do not need?" I just keep my mouth shut and go about my business, but everyone of my family's Glock pistols has a SCD on it.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    My experience is that getting people to shell out for the SCD is much more difficult than it should be. People will drop $500 plus on a Glock, buy a few spare magazines, and then buy the cheapest holster and belt in the store. Adding money for a slide plate without the Punisher or the "Stars and Bars" on it is not going to happen. Trying to convince those people about the value of the SCD is futile. More than once I have heard, "There is no way I will shoot myself when holstering my Glock, so why would I pay $80 for something I do not need?" I just keep my mouth shut and go about my business, but everyone of my family's Glock pistols has a SCD on it.
    You won’t be able to sell everyone on the concept. The best thing you can do is lead by example and be articulate in why you do what you do. The only real downside in my mind with the SCD is the price of admission. Not that it’s not worth the price because it totally is and then some.

Tom would be a millionaire if he’d put a punisher skull on the SCD.

User Tag List