Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AAR - Protective Shooting Concepts - Battle Rifle Workshop - Jan 31st, 2015

Oils and Lotions SME
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I've personally shot 30-06 AP all the way through things like a M114, those AP cores get through a ton of material, even if they yaw.

I was guessing that the non bonded .308 loads would exhibit break-up
    What surprised me was how many folks thought a 30 cal AP round would drill through a cast iron v-6, and how shocked they were when it didn't. I guess I shot more stuff growing up than some. Country childhood has benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by iakdrago View Post
    Jay, the class looks fun, are you thinking of offering it in the future as well?
    This was a pilot class but seemed like a big hit. It's a little resource-intensive, but I think it will stay as part of our regular curriculum. We learned a few things which will make it even more fun next time... not to mention perhaps we'll run it in temperate weather!

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Looks Awesome!

Couple of Questions:
    1) What was the approximate round count for the class? (I'm assuming this class would be considered a "running the gun hard" type of class that those on the carbine.net site are so fond of).
    2) Was the M1A a newer mostly commercial parts gun or an older mostly GI parts gun?
    3) We have seen videos where the front glass on a car provides good protection to those inside from pistol rounds, do you thing the relative steep rake of the Explorer's windshield allowed the 9mm bullet better penetration?

P.S. I remember a time where a 2 door Explorer was on my short list of dream trucks......

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Looks Awesome!

Couple of Questions:
    1) What was the approximate round count for the class? (I'm assuming this class would be considered a "running the gun hard" type of class that those on the carbine.net site are so fond of).
    2) Was the M1A a newer mostly commercial parts gun or an older mostly GI parts gun?
    3) We have seen videos where the front glass on a car provides good protection to those inside from pistol rounds, do you thing the relative steep rake of the Explorer's windshield allowed the 9mm bullet better penetration?

P.S. I remember a time where a 2 door Explorer was on my short list of dream trucks......

Advertised round count for the class was 400, and that was pretty spot-on. I think a few guys ran into the 450 mark, but they were dumping ammo into the car. As far as "running the guns hard", yeah we did a good deal of that, but we also shot slow fire prone out to 300 yards.

I used my M1A which is late 70's vintage, pretty much all USGI parts. A student ran an M1A Scout. Both of them ran just fine and both easily allowed their operators to achieve 300 yard hits with iron sights. My M1A has never had a stoppage since I've had it, and I've run it through some patrol rifle match stages.

It's been my experience that the windshield does not provide good protection from service pistol or rifle rounds. I've shot up regular cars and depending on the bullet there can be some deflection, but I personally think aiming directly at the driver through the windshield will give good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Aray View Post
    What surprised me was how many folks thought a 30 cal AP round would drill through a cast iron v-6, and how shocked they were when it didn't. I guess I shot more stuff growing up than some. Country childhood has benefits.
    That's been my experience as well, and I had access to lots of black tip back in the day, and we used it.

Having a friend who's dad owned a junk yard was very educational.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Looks Awesome!
    could not agree more--time stop stock up on ammo/$$ for the class.

Jay

Slightly related. What sling setup to you recommend on a normally stocked M14/M1A?

Jay

Slightly related. What sling setup to you recommend on a normally stocked M14/M1A?
    I recommend either the USGI web sling (cotton, not nylon) or a setup similar to what I have on my 12 gauge: BFG A2 buttstock adapter with top attachment and a Combat Applications sling rigged on the front left of the stock.

VTAC makes a doo-dad to allow the use of the sling SGM Lamb designed on regular stocked type guns, shotguns, etc.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    VTAC makes a doo-dad to allow the use of the sling SGM Lamb designed on regular stocked type guns, shotguns, etc.
    I do have said doo-dad on my 11-87 and run a standard VTAC sling on it (all my ARs run VTACs), I just have been slow to be able to figure out the best way to sling my Socom16. Don't know why as the setup works well on the 11-87.

Jay, do you just install a sling mount on the side of the stock?

User Tag List