Thread: Portugese G-3 value question

Portugese G-3 value question

Does anyone have thoughts on the value of a Portugese made G-3? I've seen comments all over the place on them. Its an IDEP marked gun ("Made by Indep"), imported by Century, but I dont believe its made by them. I think this group was all Porugese made guns, altered for semi-auto fire. The receiver and welds look identical to the H&K I had years ago. They were brought in for a short time in the early 2000's, then were not allowed to bring in any more.

If you want to be sure, break it down and look for H&K markings on parts. If it's a Century manufactured/assembled rifle, the chances of them using an all Portuguese parts kit is pretty small. If you go to HKPro, they are fairly obsessive about the varieties of roller locked guns.

Sorry for the slow reply.

I think, the rifle you speak of is worth parts or a project. $600 to $800. A factory built FMP. is worth $1,200 to $1,800 in today's soft 91 market.

I would guess the rifle you speak of was assembled in the USA. Complete FMP rifles were only imported by PARS Int. A factory FMP would be marked G3S, XG3S, or SLG95 with PARS as the importer.

Indep is the Portugese manufacturer. But they made complete rifles and sold receivers and some whisper, barreled receivers.

If you have a a factory built FMP, these contract guns are equal to or better than a Greek EBO by Hellenic Arms. The FMP is interesting because you get a G3 machine gun barrel, in theory even better than the HK91 civilian barrel.

So, if it only says Indep, it's likley a parts gun, is the barrel marked FMP? If so, send it off to a good HK smith and it could be great shooter. But let's be honest, that Century mark is not going to help value. However an FMP barreled receiver just failed to sell on Gun Broker for $599. It was marked, Made in Portugal, Inter Ordance of America, It might be a factory barreled receiver, and you may have a similar rifle.

So, FMPs, to quote an HKPro member.

1. FACTORY BUILT FMP.
    - Left receiver should be marked "G3S", "FMP", serial number and "1/89", "XG3S", "FMP", serial number and "3/89" or "XG3S", "FMP", serial number and "5/89";
    - Right receiver should be marked "MADE IN PORTUGAL/PARS INTERNATIONAL/LOUISVILLE, KY/CAL. .308";

2. PARTS GUN

- Left receiver should read "FMP" only;
    - Right receiver should read "INTER ORDNANCE OF AMERICA LP.", "MONROE, NC" "MADE IN PORTUGAL" AND ".308 WIN".

3. PARTS GUN

- Left receiver should read "FMP" only;
    - Right receiver should read "Imported by CAI Georgia VT", "Manufactured by Indep", "Portugual", serial number and "G-3".

i hope these thoughts are helpful.

Thanks for the response.

In researching, I've seen information that differs. The differing info indicates there were some other complete guns brought in at different times, including some marked as mine is. I dont have any way of knowing positively either way. I've also seen info (not substantiated either) that some guns were built on FMP barreled actions by contractors, and varied in quality depending on who built them. Some were excellent, some not so much.

At the time I bought this in about '01-'02, there were other Century G-3's. They were Century builds. I saw several. The dealer that got mine had a couple. He ended up sending several back because they were so poorly built, customers wouldnt accept them. The info he had was that they had a limited number of Portuguese made guns that cost quite a bit more than the Century builds. He said he'd gottten several for people that they had been very happy with them, especially compared to the junk that Century had built. I had him get me one, and I honestly can say I would have no reason to have an H-K over this one other than the value. I had an H-K 91 in the 80's-90's. The comparison isnt just a guess.

If the opinion is "any Century gun is a $600-$800 gun", I dont agree with that. I've seen some truly junk Century builds, not to mention all the flaky Cetme builds they did. This isnt in the same class as the lesser grade Century builds or Cetmes I've seen. I researched it some since I first posted, there have been some guns like mine sold in the range I priced it at. I'd deal some, but if it doesnt sell, it certainly isnt going to hurt my feelings other than needing money to pay bills and get medical treatment.

So, the available info varies. I dont have any way to positively know. However it came into existence in it present form, its a very well made gun.

Interesting to see the FMP receiver back on Gun Broker. Not mine.
    I used the 'ask the Seller a question' on GB before the previous auction expired. He replied that they had a firm offer at $679. Funny to see it back up for sale.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=472197912

The pictures show very good welds on the FMP marked receiver, the trunnion, and the cocking tube to receiver. The barrel is also FMP marked with a real G3 triple tree, it has the grenade ring. The flash hider is correct, with the retention ring. Looks like a good barreled receiver, however the markings are an issue.

The mag well markings look fine, but the SLG-95 looks remarked. They don't look factory, too deep, nice and sharp.

With PTR selling very nice complete guns for $899 retail they're infusing new life into the HK clone market. Today, compared with 10 or 20 years ago, there are lots of great builders and lots of available parts. However, the current trend is, part prices are up and complete gun prices are down. Prices for real German parts and esp. the accessories are way up. Hensoldt scopes on the claw mount, HK bipods, MSG, and PSG-1 trigger groups have all doubled in price in the last 5-6 years.

User Tag List