Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Israeli carry - a short experiment

Quote Originally Posted by GP47 View Post
    If you practice appendix c3 10,000 times per year vs a guy practicing behind the hip c1 500 times per year who do you think will have the more efficient draw? There are too many variables for absolutes in this scenario.
    Hmm, my brother, whom I mentioned in my OP, does a lot more dry practise with his high-speed IPSC rig than I do. I'm also sure that he does practise drawing and racking as starting the stage empty or in C3 is not uncommon.
    Yet, I could wait until he moved his hand and was still faster than him.

Quote Originally Posted by T.Stahl View Post
    Hmm, my brother, whom I mentioned in my OP, does a lot more dry practise with his high-speed IPSC rig than I do. I'm also sure that he does practise drawing and racking as starting the stage empty or in C3 is not uncommon.
    Yet, I could wait until he moved his hand and was still faster than him.
    Most people aren't using you and your brother in a quick draw as their benchmark for carrying a certain way though. Calling the method "silly" seemed ridiculous to me but not looking to argue, enjoy your day.

I don't care what others base their way of carrying on.
    I wanted to express why I doubt that one can really regain the time lost by carrying C3.

Quote Originally Posted by GP47 View Post
    Maybe the appendix guys need to start a thread about how behind the hip carry is terrible because hypothetically if someone pushes them up against a wall you won't be able to draw your weapon? You can argue everything, I am not sure why a majority of the people think it's their way or no way.
    Been there done that. In fact, situations like that are a primary consideration for choosing appendix carry. Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreen View Post
    Been there done that. In fact, situations like that are a primary consideration for choosing appendix carry. Just sayin'
    Oh I know.. Optimally I think C1 appendix would be the best setup, but it doesn't work for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by T.Stahl View Post
    I don't care what others base their way of carrying on.
    I wanted to express why I doubt that one can really regain the time lost by carrying C3.
    And then, of course, that creates the question of how much the supposed lost time matters. Again, lots of things cause one to lose some time, but it seems the C3 issue is the only one that folks seem to get all wound up about.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    ...I noticed that your rationale is missing the other half of the equation: the ND side. There are some people who can reasonably conclude that their odds of being in CQ life or death battle with a criminal are lower than their lifetime odds of an ND through admin handling...
    Purely anecdotal but it sure seems like a lot of ND stories start with "I normally carry chamber empty but..." as folks do administrative handling and insert a mag then rack the slide after doing dry fire practice instead of the opposite or some other handling error (key word) that ends with sloppy muzzle and trigger discipline because they've conditioned themselves to thinking "the chamber's empty".

Far better to condition yourself to "this thing is fully loaded and will kill someone if I screw up" than the false security of "chamber's empty so the gun's not really loaded and it's safer".

Clif notes - C3 as an answer to gun safety flies in the face of the first rule and encourages unsafe habits both in handling and storage.

ETA - I'd argue that the folks who "need" C3 as a safety measure to prevent an ND will find a way to defeat any safety measure.

^^^^^^^^
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post
    Purely anecdotal but it sure seems like a lot of ND stories start with "I normally carry chamber empty but..."
    That's not what I've heard, after hanging around these boards for 15 years. Well trained shooters, competitors, even some instructors have had an ND. The notion that C3 somehow encourages unsafe behavior is a belief, without factual support. In every other field of human activity, we use mechanical safety mechanisms to make tools less dangerous. Are we safer without seat belts because belts encourage sloppy driving? Are we safer without safety mechanisms on the shop floor for that same rationale? Only in guns, and seemingly only in the C3 debate, are things reversed.

The idea that C3 is less safe is unsupportable...a little Orwellian, actually. In C3, the gun's normal state is unloaded. In C1, the gun's normal state is loaded. Humans are fallible. By what math is the mostly unloaded gun more likely to ND than the gun almost always loaded?

C3 is simply a way to transfer risk from a daily event to a possible event, based on one's best guess as to cost-benefit.

Disconcur. Way more NDs happen with unloaded guns.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List